Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ANNUAL LET 'EM GO AND LET 'EM GROW >

ANNUAL LET 'EM GO AND LET 'EM GROW

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ANNUAL LET 'EM GO AND LET 'EM GROW

Old 09-20-2006, 06:37 AM

Default RE: ANNUAL LET 'EM GO AND LET 'EM GROW

ORIGINAL: jelen

Mod's place it where you see fit but I think this post deserves a place with the rest in the forefront of all members...

Take quality pics, make quality recoveries, shoot deer with quality broadheads, and harvest deer you can be proud of, and how about letting some deer go so that they can grow?

....that means just maybe evaluating your goals and standards prior to even getting out of your truck to head to the woods opening day. Consider all scenarios and do so throughout the season. What is the buck-to-doe-ratio in your woods, what is the average age of the bucks in your area, what can YOU do to IMPROVE your situation. Is that wily ole doe a tougher challenge than that immature, clueless, lost, bewildered, lonely, spindly 1.5-2.5 year old buck? Is the meat on a spike "REALLY" that tender or are you just saying that to compensate for other shortcomings? Sure you have unlimited buck tags but don't you most likely have unlimited doe tags as well? What's best for the deer, their herd, the county's herd, the city's herd, the region's herd, the state's herd, and the herd period? The big equation is hugely larger than yourself. Take a doe and let the young bucks go so that they can grow....gee whiz...you might like what you see.
This post really bugs me for several reasons.[>:]
a) I dislike it when post titles are in CAPS, unless it is an emergency.
b) Shoot what you like, whether it is a spike, doe, or a bruiser buck.
c) The tag situation varies from state to state, and within a state, from county to county.
d) The equation is not larger than yourself. Take what makes you happy and have a nice season. Keep it legal though!

With all that said...it is still an individual decision to take that 1.5/2.5 year old deer. If you want it, then take it. Do what makes YOU happy!
Old 09-20-2006, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll try to make this as clear as possible "I'll shoot whatever size and age deer that I want and be PROUD of it." Until you are buying my tags or own the land that I hunt on let me shoot and be happy with whatever I want and don't impose your own self rightous rules on me.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Amen Gutshot, From now on I believe Jelen better think about offending people before he posts a subject like this.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:07 AM

MaybeI should start a post called "Kill'em and Grill'em?"
Old 09-20-2006, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jelen

Mod's place it where you see fit <the trash bin>but I think this post deserves a place with the rest in the forefront of all members...

Take quality pics, make quality recoveries, shoot deer with quality broadheads, and harvest deer you can be proud of, and how about letting some deer go so that they can grow?
Once you say..Harvest deer you can be proud of. That's enough of a statement unless of course you want to add "and/or feed your family with."

It's all about personal goals. We all hunt for different reasons. If it is your goal to shoot a trophy buck, then yes,let the little ones grow to thier best potential. If your goals are different, then shoot what you legally have tags for. No one person can try and push thier standards onto someone else. I understand what you are trying to say Jelen, and you probably don't deserve the flack you'll catch for it but when you make a blanket statement it's going to offend. If you added a clarifier such as "If your goal is to shoot trophy quality bucks..let'em go and let'em grow" might not have ruffled so many feathers.

I haven't always been so politically correct in my posts, but you do learn how to get your point acrossed without a flame war starting.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:26 AM
Site Buck Guru

I enjoy hunting for mature whitetails. I've seen the results of letting deer get some age on them. If you care to hunt and see more mature whitetails, then passing the small ones will help. So will spending more time in the woods and becoming a better hunter. It's your choice.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Campo

MaybeI should start a post called "Kill'em and Grill'em?"
I think you should! I love the book Kill It and Grill It.

I, for one, hunt for food andnot for trophies. I can't eat antlers, so I don't go after monsters. That doesn't mean that I go out and whack any deer that moves, but given the chance I would take a yearling doe. They ARE more tender and a lot sweeter. (psstt...BTW, I'm not a guy, so I don't worry about "short comings")

Like most people here, I don't impose my views on everyone, and not everyone will agree with taking a yearling anything. That's ok. That's what makes the U.S. what it is. It is OKAY to disagree and have different views.

Like Uncle Ted says, "You can't do this in France!"
Old 09-20-2006, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Conservation does studies and then makes laws on what I can take, not that I think they are always right. Thats as much input as anybody has in the deer I take........ except the wife [X(]I have to fill an order for her. This will be the first season that she can fill her own order. Have fun, stay safe and hunt for yourself.
I hunt 100sq km of forest....... try to get the buck to doe ratio down you say. Ya right, that just means the bucks go elsewhere..... to where the does are. If you want to set rules and limitations......... keep them to yourself unless your the landowner
Old 09-20-2006, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

UH, not anymore. I've been passing small and medium sized bucks for 4 seasons now, I was waiting for a wall hanger. I'm done with that. I may not take a spike or small forky, but I won't pass up a shot at a 75-100 class buck anymore. I take does every season, but it's high time I get back to hunting DEER, not RACKS. That ain't what it's all about. With all due respect I think your post is quite self-serving, just let em all hunt the way they want, as long as legal.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Most of the time in my area if you let em go the end up on the road side dead.

Tell you what you hunt for your reasons and I'll hunt for mine.

I find many people that are in it for the antlers are the one's with the shortcomings.

Quick Reply: ANNUAL LET 'EM GO AND LET 'EM GROW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.