Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ANNUAL LET 'EM GO AND LET 'EM GROW >

ANNUAL LET 'EM GO AND LET 'EM GROW

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ANNUAL LET 'EM GO AND LET 'EM GROW

Old 09-20-2006, 09:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: ANNUAL LET 'EM GO AND LET 'EM GROW

Mod's place it where you see fit
Like the garbage can.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Mod's place it where you see fit
Like the garbage can.
Ditto!!
Old 09-20-2006, 10:41 AM
Typical Buck

I respectfully have to disagree with this post. I let smaller bucks by but to each his own. Hunting isn't about killing the biggest deer all the time. I have been taking my 6 year old son and it is more rewarding then any deer I have taken.This post will discourage other hunters from sharing their experiences that they may want to share.Lets not put shame on an otherwise great event in someones life. During rifle season I have 4 old guys(70+) that hunt my land, that just enjoy getting out. I would never tell them they could only shoot certain deer. They talk about shooting the biggest deer in the woods every year but they don't. They shoot what ever they feel like. The oldest guy is named Art and he is in his late 80's. Every year he takes a buck, most of the time small,and the other guys always give him crap. Art just always smiles and says "it could be my last and the antlers take to long to cook anyway". It about family or camp traditions. Let people take the deer they want to take as long as it is done legal and etical. Be happy if they are happy.Thats about all I have to say on that. Happy hunting and be proud no matter what.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Site Buck Guru

Most of the time in my area if you let em go the end up on the road side dead.

Tell you what you hunt for your reasons and I'll hunt for mine.

I find many people that are in it for the antlers are the one's with the shortcomings.
I usually find just the opposite, you let them go and they usually end up being even bigger the following year.

I also find that the ones who complain about the trophy hunters are the ones that couldn't hunt their way out of their garage, even if the big door was open.[:-]

The usual comments from the people uncapable of killing a mature buck are, " Ya can't eat the horns", "My young small buck is more tender than your big ole buck" (BTW, so are young does) and (my favorite) " I'm getting back to the basics". Well, you never left the basics by continuing to shoot small bucks. Hunting mature bucks will really test your skills.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Dominant Buck

What "I" "Usually" find is.....you don't see people coming onto internet sites complaining about people shooting all the "big" deer. Also....if hunting "trophy" bucks is your cup of tea......who's handling the QDM for you? Who's doing your part byreducing the doe population?? And....why don't you join 'em in YOUR plight???

I try to spend about 3-4 minutes every 9-12 months worrying about what other people think about me. The rest of the time.....I figure it's their problem.

jeff
Old 09-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree that 'to each his own'. That's the pride of killing a deer. But I also 100% agree with the philosophy of let'em go and let'em grow. That's the only way they'll get bigger, and help your chances of harvesting a big buck, in the years to come.

Lee and Tiffany are great examples of practicing QDM, and they're reaping the benefits of their hard work.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

Most of the time in my area if you let em go the end up on the road side dead.

Tell you what you hunt for your reasons and I'll hunt for mine.

I find many people that are in it for the antlers are the one's with the shortcomings.
I usually find just the opposite, you let them go and they usually end up being even bigger the following year.

I also find that the ones who complain about the trophy hunters are the ones that couldn't hunt their way out of their garage, even if the big door was open.[:-]

The usual comments from the people uncapable of killing a mature buck are, " Ya can't eat the horns", "My young small buck is more tender than your big ole buck" (BTW, so are young does) and (my favorite) " I'm getting back to the basics". Well, you never left the basics by continuing to shoot small bucks. Hunting mature bucks will really test your skills.

And another mine is bigger than yours, I'm agreat hunter a you're not, QDM It's my way or the wrong way poster heard from.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:08 PM
Dominant Buck

I guess if I heard more people say that they "practice QDM"....i.l.o. "I'm a trophy hunter".....I'd understand what they stood for, moreso.

As it sits.....it sounds like they want "us" to keep the doe population at bay for them.....but not shoot their future "booners".

It's a "bit" elitist....if you think about it....

jeff

(realizes that the stars have aligned in yet another perfect circumstance......and that he and Atlas might agree on this, too)
Old 09-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kshunter

I agree that 'to each his own'. That's the pride of killing a deer. But I also 100% agree with the philosophy of let'em go and let'em grow. That's the only way they'll get bigger, and help your chances of harvesting a big buck, in the years to come.

Lee and Tiffany are great examples of practicing QDM, and they're reaping the benefits of their hard work.
Lee and Tiff, are on their own land or brought in to hunt the so-and-so Ranch. Of course they are practicing let'em grow. They are not out fighting with the masses on Public land, trying to score on a decent buck!

If they were filmed shooting spikes, people like you wouldn't be so in aw of them
Old 09-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

I think a couple of posts have hit the nail on the head. The "trophy" hunters get upset when the "meat" hunters shoot the smaller bucks because it reduces their chances of harvesting a "trophy". These hunters get bent out of shape when a small buck is shot instead of a doe. The QDM should be done by "meat" hunters so the "real" hunters can do what they do best. It is a bit elitist.

My county has a 4pt on one site rule, which has made a noticeable difference on the size of the bucks we are now seeing. That does add a little more excitement.

I personally shoot the first doe I see, then wait around for a nice buck (unless of course the nice buck comes by first). If I never see I nice buck I will take another doe. That is MY preference. Unless I owned my own property and was managing the herd, I would never expect people to do it my way.

Quick Reply: ANNUAL LET 'EM GO AND LET 'EM GROW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.