Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Burning ur arrow shaft. >

Burning ur arrow shaft.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Burning ur arrow shaft.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default Burning ur arrow shaft.

Hey guys i wanted to burn my arrow shafts so i can move my inserts to align my vanes with my broadhead blades. I was just wondering if its harmful to you if u burn ur arrow shafts? Also is it harmful to the arrows?
Old 09-19-2006, 07:47 PM

Default RE: Burning ur arrow shaft.

If you're shooting carbon, it won't work. Epoxy won't melt to allow you to spin the insert. If you're shooting aluminum, it works fine....but heat the point, not the arrow. Too much heat and you'll ruin it. Other than that, there's no harm.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Are you talking aluminum or carbons, if aluminum, no, you can heat them and spin your inserts however it's not necessary to align your veins with your blades. That means nothing.

If your talking carbon, no you do not want to heat the carbon arrow itself. Applying heat to it can and will damage the arrow. Again, aligning the blades mean nothing.

More importantly is to have a true center alignment for the insert, ie no broadhead wobble.

edit: lol same time as mobow.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with both comments. Do not heat carbons. Aligning the broadheads with the vanes is a myth. Nothing gained. Best thing to do is make sure the shaft is squared before you install the insert. The shaft can be off just a fraction and you will have poor broadhead flight. WOBBLE WOBBLE.