Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow shaft question >

Arrow shaft question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow shaft question

Old 06-28-2005, 07:11 AM
Spike

Default Arrow shaft question

Just was wondering why when I look at Eastons shaft selector chart on their website I get two completely different choices of shaft sizes when I chose targetvs hunting. I am shooting medium cam, 65lbs, and 26 inch arrow. Although they don't ask for broadhead/field point weight it is 100grains. I am shooting a 2114, which is okay with target, but is not listed in the hunting. Can someone explain this to me? Also why is the X7 for target and not for hunting if it is stronger and straighter? Can someone answer both of these questions for me?
Old 06-28-2005, 10:01 AM

Default RE: Arrow shaft question

Target arrows normally have less FOC and less spine than a hunting arrow. You normally use a glue in point vrs an insert, which cuts down on weight in the front of the arrow. You can get a way with a bit less spine in a target arrow because you are not going to shoot a fixed blade head from it. With adequate fletching a target or field tipped arrow can correct itself much easier than one with a fixed blade head. This is why your bow will great with field tips, but when you slap a broad head on there it misses.

I can actaully group very underspined arrows pretty well out of my bow with field tips on them. It's just not as cirticle. Not to say that it doesn't matter though.

What kind of target shooting where you thinking of doing?

The X7 is basically an XX78 I think. It is just the target version.

If you download Eastons tuning guide I think it explains some of it. I'm not sure though.

Paul
Old 06-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow shaft question

For what it's worth, I have always been able to shoot a slightly lighter spined arrow than the hunting charts suggest so I just used the Target Chart. Paul has pretty well summed up the differences though.

The biggest reason you don't see the X7's listed under the hunting chart is because most hunters would not spend the extra money to get a better quality of shaft prior to the days of the XX78's. The choices we had were Gamegetter, XX75 and then X7, X7 being the top end of the quality line. The higher the quality the less pure aluminum and more alloy which made them more resistant to bending, which means they were straighter to begin with and stayed that way. This is still the case. Also, if you look closely you'll see that most aluminum hunting arrows are camo these days, something a target archer is not concerned about. Also, if you look at the sizes available you notice that the target chart lists smaller sizes in both diameter and spine as most target shooters don't need stiffer shafts because they normally shoot lighter weight bows. Target shooters also are looking for a bit more speed and not penetration so wall thickness is usually less for a lighter arrow. Bigger diameter and thinner walls means "line cutters".