Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 What Arrow Shaft Material >

What Arrow Shaft Material

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

What Arrow Shaft Material

Old 10-04-2004, 09:49 AM

Default What Arrow Shaft Material

What arrow shaft material are all you using? I currently use POC but bounce back and forth between wood and carbon, like the way carbon shoots, and the way Wood does also. But always sem to go back to wood, and now I am thinking of going back to Carbon.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What Arrow Shaft Material

I use either carbons or woods. Carbons are fast, always either broke or straight, and I believe the penetration they give is superior to other shafts.

That said, I got some very nice POC shafts and have made up some to hunt with. Fly great, and with whitetails are more than adequate. I've noticed woods are quieter, I don't know why. They are also much more fragile / apt top break.

My goal is to be hunting with those POC I made - gives the Hunt more importance and meaning IMO
Old 10-04-2004, 04:19 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I use POC. I've used several other woods, aluminum, and carbon, but I prefer POC. I generally get mine from Rogue River Archery, but have also gotten good shafts from Raven. Just because they are labeled as POC does NOT mean they are good shafts--I've gotten some really crappy ones in the past.

Carbon is pretty much "maintenence free", but they aren't bomb-proof. They can be damaged and/or loose spine without being broken. Arthur can elaborate further.

I have been considering having a secondary arrow material due to the lack of time I've had to make wood arrows for myself. Thanks to a good friend I've been able to keep enough for tournaments and hunting, but I don't know how long I'll be able to keep badgering him to make more. I've had a set started for a year or so, and still haven't finished them. If I do go to something else, most likely it will be aluminum. I have no problems with penetration even with the "logs" I shoot, and the same aluminum arrows are easy to find pretty much anywhere. Keep them in the target, and don't shoot over one or two at the same spot, you won't have any worries with damaged shafts. [8D]

Chad
Old 10-06-2004, 11:44 AM

What carbons do you use? My longbow is only 50 lb draw at 27" so what size carbon would be correctly spined for it? How heavy are your carbons?
ORIGINAL: LBR

I use POC. I've used several other woods, aluminum, and carbon, but I prefer POC. I generally get mine from Rogue River Archery, but have also gotten good shafts from Raven. Just because they are labeled as POC does NOT mean they are good shafts--I've gotten some really crappy ones in the past.

Carbon is pretty much "maintenence free", but they aren't bomb-proof. They can be damaged and/or loose spine without being broken. Arthur can elaborate further.

I have been considering having a secondary arrow material due to the lack of time I've had to make wood arrows for myself. Thanks to a good friend I've been able to keep enough for tournaments and hunting, but I don't know how long I'll be able to keep badgering him to make more. I've had a set started for a year or so, and still haven't finished them. If I do go to something else, most likely it will be aluminum. I have no problems with penetration even with the "logs" I shoot, and the same aluminum arrows are easy to find pretty much anywhere. Keep them in the target, and don't shoot over one or two at the same spot, you won't have any worries with damaged shafts. [8D]

Chad
Old 10-06-2004, 12:19 PM

Hornbow, I used the Vapor Crbonwood or the V-Maxx 3000's I used the V-Maxx with 155 grain point for an arrow weight of 480 grains.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:41 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

My last carbons were Beeman's with the outserts (to give you an idea of how long it's been). I shot them from an 82# longbow. I had no idea what they weighed, and don't remember the spine--most likely that same one isn't made anymore. Back when I shot carbon, Beeman's were about the only ones available, with a couple other companies testing the waters but they were hard to find. Nowadays, you can find them everywhere, but it seems different stores carry different brands, and they all have their own ratings for spine. Sorry I'm not more help.

Chad