Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 tree stand climber vs hang on >

tree stand climber vs hang on

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

tree stand climber vs hang on

Old 09-15-2006, 06:08 PM
vgc

Default tree stand climber vs hang on

ive got a summit viper climber, when im in the woodsi see stands
that getleft there, when the owner comes in he climbs in 1,2,3. it take me ten minutes to get up and adjusted. should i have gotten ahang onwhatare pros and cons. i was thinking of getting steps and leave my climber in the tree(locked) so it will make gettin in quicker. tnx v
Old 09-15-2006, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: tree stand climber vs hang on

There are pros and cons to both. With a hang on, you can get into a funky tree. It doesn't have to be straight up and down. You can use the limbsfor concealment. The downside, you can't just pick up and go if the wind shifts, and packing in the stand and steps together is a job, they're heavy.

With a climber, you're limited to straighttrees, but you can adjust your location in a moments notice.

I would say, put out some hang ons and keep your climber handy just in case you need to movein a hurry.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

I do both.I use a climbing stand when on public land, and sometimes on my land, too. I just started using hang on stands on another parcel I have that's very steep. I put permanent steps (10" galvanized spikes) on a couple trees (and will likely do so on a couple more). Then i can pack in my very light (8.5 pound), compactLone Wold Assault hang on stand and climb up the steps to my spots.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:46 PM

one thing about a climber stand, u can go in with it, and come home with it, many deer stands such as hang on's there are some low life people that will come alone and decide to cut the cable or lock and take your stand....so thats one pro to a climber stand, i own one, and love it, the negative side would be having to walk a long ways packing the stand on your back, it gets heavy....lol

good luck this season