Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Turkey advice

Old 09-13-2006, 07:47 AM

Default Turkey advice

I've got a great chance to score on my first turkey with a bow. My hunting area has several nice toms on it and they are coming into my food plot pretty regular. I just bought a ground blind I plan on using on the food plot.My question is,where do I shoot a turkey? I was going to shoot center mass, but have been told the thing would fly off before it died. I was also told to shoot them in the hip. They couldn't fly or run off. I plan on grinding the tip of my Thunderheads down flat so the arrow would stay in the bird.Does this sound like a good idea?

Old 09-13-2006, 08:23 AM

Default RE: Turkey advice

Grinding your thunderheads down flat sounds like a bad idea to me. I would rather get some expandable broad heads with a big cutting diameter. Turkeys are tough to take down with a bow. Thier vitals are small. Hitting the wing boneor back bone is a small target as well. Go to the google web site, click on images and doa search on turkey 3 D targets. Look at the kill zone on them. You will see turkeys in full strut, on alert, broadside, faceing you. It will show you where to shoot.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Right up the A**hole or at the base of the wing is where you should be aiming on a turkey.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well for one thing ,this thread should be in the turkey hunting forum.
Second : You should never grind your broadheads.
Now to answer your question , if the bird is broadside then aim for the shoulder of the wing that way when you hit the bird it won't fly off.
If the birdis facing you be careful of your movement and aim just above the beard or below the neck if it s a hen.
Say the birds got it back to you and its fanned out then you should shoot it right in it s rear end but if its not fanned out then aim just above its tail more center of itsback.
Now if your a really good shooter with your bow you could try to decapitate the bird, I've seen it done and the bird isn't going anywhere with out its head.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

RDhunter......he is fine..hes asking about turkey hunting with a BOW. come here in the spring we all talk turkey!

justhunt...heres a link..i had the SAME post a week or so ago. they gave good advice and awesome pics

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1691462
Old 09-13-2006, 10:34 AM

I don't see why I can't grind the tip down on my Thunderheads so it's flat. The NAP gobbler heads look like Thunderheads with a rounded over tip vice a point. I don't want to switch heads because T-heads shoot great. I looks like taking a turkey requires a lot more precise shooting than for a deer. I plan on setting up for a 10-15 yards shot so I should be OK.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

i wouldnt grind the heads either. no sense in that..heck they probably wont even fly good once your done. either use them as is and hope you make a good hit and can find the bird...or get a big head for turkeys. i got a 100gr mechanical that flys with my muzzys and FPs. they have a 1.5 inch cut..i plan to use them on turkeys...and yes..turkeys vitals are small.....no room for arrow....another reason for a bigger head. could make the diffrence....
Old 09-13-2006, 02:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm sorry