Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Advice on smoking a turkey

Old 11-17-2003, 07:58 PM

Default Advice on smoking a turkey

I' ve been deep frying the Thanksgiving turkey for the past few years but I want to smoke one this year. Does anyone have any advice on smoking one on a gas Smoker? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:10 PM

Default RE: Advice on smoking a turkey

don' t know bout a gas smoker.we have a 250 gal gas takn smoker at the camp. we put the bird on about 5:00 am and it is ready when we get back from hunting around noon.Gooooooooooooood[:-]
Old 11-21-2003, 05:55 AM

SCGOBBLER:

I have done lots of store bought birds on my brinkman electric. I just make sure that the water pan is full and I usually put in a few extra peices of wood. I have not done a wild bird though. since they are leaner, I would just watch your water level and temp. turkeys turn pink/reddish when you smoke them - so don' t let that bother you. For me, a 12-14lb bird usually takes about 6 hours. good eatin...
Old 02-04-2004, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you have a Weber Grille (dome type) you can do this. This is not a true form of smoking, but its darn close.

I mix up my favorite marinade and add a wee bit of smoke sauce. I inject about 1 cup of this directly into turkey breast, leg etc. I soak a large bowl of smoke chips at least 24 hrs. Place a round diposable aluminum pan in center of grille. Fill it with water or a flavored broth. Build your coals around this pan and along inside edge of grille. I cook Turkey until internal temp is 160 Deg. About last hour of cooking I throw in the smoke chips. The turkey turns a golden brown with definate smoke flavor thru out. The pan of water along with the injection makes this the moistest turkey you'll ever lay your lips on!! I cook 2-3 like this every year.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:22 PM

Well I have heard of smokin' dope, tobacco, crack but not a turkey! Just make sure it is really dry!
Old 02-05-2004, 12:06 AM

It be pretty hard rolling him up, huh?
Old 02-05-2004, 12:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I have heard of smokin' dope, tobacco, crack but not a turkey
lol
but you need really big rolling papers?

Smoked turkey is goodstuff!![:-]
But i love ham..lotsa other things too smoked or not[:-].
yumm nitrates& burnt roasted carbons, carsinagens?(splol

I come to this part of the fourm& always get hungry.[X(]
Old 02-05-2004, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've smoked a bunch of birds in my Brinkman electric over the years - it's great stuff.

I've found that most meats including turkey will need to cook an hour per pound. Make sure to keep hot water in the pan to within 1/2" of the top. Don't open the lid too much or it'll never get done. I use "smoke on" for the first hour or two, then let the bird go for a few more hours with no chips for smoke, then keep chips in the rest of the time (unless I'm sleeping - an 18 pound bird takes 18 hours to smoke!). Don't over cook. It'll dry out.