Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 cold weather boots. >

cold weather boots.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

cold weather boots.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default cold weather boots.

how many times have you been in the woods and all you can think about is how fn cold your feet are. well it has happened to me to many times . im going to be puting an order in for a bunch of hunting gear for my female half so i figure we both need some warmer boots as well.
i dont know anything about them and need some advice from you. im wanting a boot that is confortable for walking and still really warm and waterproof(and what ever else i forgot thatwould benice). i know alot of you guys have tried different brands and modelsthat claimed one way or the other and failed to meet your expectations and im hoping that you can help me so i dont fall in that same hole. please tell me brands and models you didnt like and defently tell me if you found a pair you really like and met of exceeded your expectations..
thanks Jeff S.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: cold weather boots.

I like lacrosse burly ats 1200 grams insulate! waterproof, scent proof, and warm as heck!!! They are pretty comfy too!
Old 09-04-2006, 03:43 AM

I have never had a pair of boots that were comfy and light for lots of walking an still be warm enough for really cold weather on the tree stand. The metal platform of the stand leaches the cold into my feet, making them miserable and very unhappy.
A good option, if you don't want to buy at least 2 pair of boots is the insulated over boot cover things. I have never tried them but I think they would work good.
That being the case I would buy a pair of good quality boots, Gortex of course, with about 600-800 gr Thinsulate. Carry the the boot covers in your pack and then put them on right before climbing up.

DO NOT SKIMP on your boots. They will make or break a hunt. I, for years, wore cheap boots and my feet were always my weak link. About 8 or 9years ago I said, screw that, and went out and spent about 175.00 on a good pair of boots. Good boots are less than that now(thank God) but I still will never skimp on boots.
Stick with name brands, Rocky,Danner, Sorel,etc. I have hadall and been happy with them.
Stay away from cheap brands, they will leak and fall apart. They are junk and you will have toreplace them about every other year.
Right now I have4 pairs of hunting boots
400 gram,early season, Rocky
800 gram, kind of cold temps,Rocky
Sorel pac boots for colder temps(these are like 30 years old!)
2000 gram, big bulky, monster boots for really cold weather in a tree stand,Cabela's brand

If it is a long walk to my stand I will wear the 400 or 800s and strap the big monster boots to my pack.
I'll swap boots at the base of my stand.
My feet like to be warm, dry and happy!
Old 09-04-2006, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buellhunter is right it is next to impossible to find a boot that is a great walking boot with one that is extremely warm.If you have a short walk to your tree stands I would be looking hard at the Alpha Burley 1200's or a pack boot with up to 2000 grams of thinsulate.
For my style of hunting,I am typically in a stand for half the day and on my feet the other half,and I can't stand a boot that is clumsy and doesn't enable me to walk quietly.My go to boots are Danner Canadians and Schnee's Hunter pac boots.Both have air bob soles both are reasonable warm and neither are clumsy.When it is extremely cold or I am in for an all day sit in cold weather the ice breaker over boots go in my pack.They work great,some people put chemical pack hand warmers in the ice breakers and take their boots right off.Making sure you have a great pair of socks like a good heavy Merino wool sock (Ulfrotte brand is awesome) and make sure your boots are plenty big as to allow room for circulation.
Good luck!
Old 09-04-2006, 07:02 AM

Muck Boots!! Insulated or not they are the warmest boots I have ever had on my feet. Not only the warmest but buy far the most comfortable I have walked for miles and keep then on all day with no blisters no wear and tear in my feet. I frikin love them. Oh yeah I have had 1000 ultra thinsulate and 1200 thinsulate and froze no matter what

Tim
Old 09-04-2006, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

Silvis super slam 1200 gram. light and warm
Old 09-04-2006, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I went all out and got a pair of Northern Outfitters expidition boots. These boots are for extreme cold so they are not water proof but resistant. I bought these for all day hunts during the rut in Alberta but use them here in Pa as well. They are good to 50 below. They aren't the best boot for long hikesas they are awkward. But for about $200 you'll have warm feet!
Old 09-04-2006, 09:52 AM

I just got a pair of cabelas comfort trac 1200 thin. boots this year. Mainly wanted them for scent control but they turned out to be not near as awkward to walk in as I thought but still are not as comfortable as regular boots. I like them and they seem really warm, just haven't had a chance to test them out in cold weather.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Muck Boots, one of the warmest boots out there.