Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 broadhead target blues >

broadhead target blues

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

broadhead target blues

Old 08-30-2006, 06:00 PM

Default broadhead target blues

First off I would like to say hi and this seems like a great site and awesome source of information. I guess you could say I'm farily news to bow hunting (I've been messing around for the past 3 years but got a serious bow and stuff this year.

I have a block 4x4 and recently started shooting only broadheads to get ready for the season. field pointsgot along great with my block but the broad heads seem to be making it disinigreate (sp?) before my eyes. I know the purpose of the BH is to inflict damage but damn the target is $100. the foam is startin to fall out in chunks so i just stick them back in. Any ideas?
Old 08-30-2006, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: broadhead target blues

go buy one of those big yellow jacket foam broadhead targets from morells. They are only like 50 dollars and are supposedly really good. I need to take my own advice because I'm experiencing the same problems you are right now. So I stopped shooting my block directly and now I have some cheap foam targets in front of the block and now only shallow areas of the block are falling out at a time. But you're right, the target is tooooooooo expensive to just watch fall apart.
Good luck.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:51 AM

I know I can't be the only one with this problem. wonder how he glen del would compare.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

The foam is in 1/8" layers. Blades cut slices. What else can you expect? One of the better targets for broadheads is the Yellow Jacket by Morrell.

The GlenDel buck, if using the layered insert will do the same thing as the Block.

The other option is what I do. I practice a lot. Probably shoot an average of at least 5000 shots a year.I tune my bow so that broadheads and target tips hit the same POI.The only time I practice with broadheads is to check the flight and impact point of each arrow with blades on. The I put them away and use "practice" tips (field points). That's what they're for. I see no advantage in shooting broadheads all the time.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:44 AM
Dominant Buck

I switched to expandables, this season. Call me lazy.......but I bought into the fact that the field points and expandables would fly the same.

They do.

I bought a Morrell Yellow Jacket Broadhead target for $50......and I honestly don't need it, anymore. Myhunting arrows fly EXACTLY like the field points.

We'll keep our Yellow Jacket.....just to take to VA and anywhere we want to make sure our sights are still spot-on.....but I don't feel a need to shoot my hunting arrows all the time (Like I used to with fixed blades).

Just my .02

Oh yeah....at least with expandables.....the yellow jacket is THE way to go.

Jeff
Old 09-01-2006, 09:04 AM

The yellow jacket works the best of all I have tried.Though some brodheads by design are harder than others on the target.With the block you may try pushing the arrow thru and unscrewing the BH,with some heads pulling the BH out does more damage.

CB
Old 09-01-2006, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

try pushing the broadhead thru, unscrewing it, and then pull the arrow back out. mine seems to disintigrete less when i dont pull the broadhead straight out.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CAJUNBOWHNTR

The yellow jacket works the best of all I have tried.Though some brodheads by design are harder than others on the target.With the block you may try pushing the arrow thru and unscrewing the BH,with some heads pulling the BH out does more damage.

CB
oops, sorry didn't mean to repeat your post.

you are, however, undoubtedly a brilliant man...
Old 09-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

I just went yesterday and bought the Morells Broadhead target. Best move I ever made for broadheads. Broadheads come out fairly easy. They can get turned a little in the target making it difficult to pull out. All you have to do is just pull while twisting opposite the direction the broadhead cut into the target. No big deal. I shot mine a bunch yesterday and it is non worse for wear. Get one of those for your broadheads and your problems go away. Good luck.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, morekk is better,but they all disintigrate with time. I usually get the cheap layered targets (Dicks for $30). When they get real bad I'll cinch them down with a couple ratchet straps. Some older/slower bows are impossible to tune to the same POI. As long as they group well. You'll be buying a lot of targets over the years. With the Glen del they usuall pass 1/2 way thru and I unscrew them before pulling them out. You only get damage one way,but eventually they all splinter and fall apart.

Quick Reply: broadhead target blues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.