Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 To shoot or not to shoot? >

To shoot or not to shoot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To shoot or not to shoot?

Old 08-25-2006, 12:20 PM

Default To shoot or not to shoot?

Ok, this will be my third season hunting. During Early Archery last season I had the following happen.

I was in my stand early evening. I had a mature doe and 2 younger ones come down the lane and feed in the food plot. The younger ones did not have spots but it was obvious they were young. They fed for what seemed like forever. I had a dozen opportunities to shoot the mature doe as they fed. However, I did not. I kept thinking about whether or not the younger ones depended on that mature doe, and could not take the shot.

My husband told me I did good. Others have told me it was a mature doe and they would have shot it. I feel good about my decision, I'm just wondering what you all think.

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2006, 12:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: To shoot or not to shoot?

It's your decision and your decision alone what to do when in a stand. You made a decision and you stood by it, we should all be so diciplined.

However, I would have found nothing wrong with shooting that particular mature doe especially if the fawns/offspring were out of spots and more particularly if I could determine that both offspring were button bucks. When it comes to button bucks, your doing yourself a favor by taking the doe out. When it comes to yearling dispersal, the doe will push her male fawns off and they can wonder for miles out of your area forever but when momma doe is gone, the buck offspring are less likely to leave an area at all.

Regarding doe fawns, this time of year they are plenty large enough to survive without the momma doe. You could have easily have taken her without worry about her offspring.

Either way, it was your hunt and it appears you made the right decision for you but had you decided to take her and told us the same story all the while supplying us a picture with your beaming face behind that doe. I'd be saying congratulations.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Spike

I agree with Rob. They were plenty old enough to take care of themselves. On the other hand, why? Wait for another opportunity at a lone doe if that makes you feel better. Or, maybe a buck comes in and your dilemma was just made easier. While I would have felt fine shooting that doe, I would have passed for the reasons stated.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the input. With another season fast approaching I was thinking about that. I think I went into "mom" mode during that hunt. I did not know at the time that the younger ones would be ok. My husband just told me to be comfortable with the shot, if not don't take it. Yes, I am confident in my decision at the time. Knowing more this season than last I may or may not make a different choice if the same opportunity arose.

You all are awesome. I have learned so much in my short time on the boards!
Old 08-25-2006, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

A choice like that is an individual one. Like others said the fawns will be fine. I don't hesitate in shooting a large doe with fawns. Often times where I hunt, it is difficult to find a doe without them. Good luck to you this season.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

I was going to sayexactly what Rob said. If you could determine that they were button bucks I would have harvested her. I have done so during gun season. It was very weird because I shot the doe she dropped and the fawns just kept grazing...felt kinda bad for a second but then I figured that is just more deer for the following years because I knew she would have kicked them off.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:01 PM
Dominant Buck

You did fine. like all have said the little ones would have been fine.

If it were me I would have popped the little ones. On the other hand, you could have shot mom first then the other two because they would have hung around for you to shoot them as well.

Don't mean to be cruel just informative for those who are hunting for meat.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

My dad doesn't like me to shoot does on his property because he thinks they attract bucks. I've tried to explain that shooting mature does will keep her male offsrping in the area but he doesn't buy it. If I ever see a doe with 2 button bucks she's getting an arrow! He'll thank me later.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

For me...I'm shooting that doe. Depending on where you are from might play into it a bit. Being from MN, by the time our bow season rolls around the fawns are plenty old enough to take care of themselves. They know travel routes, food sources, water, bedding areas and hiding spots. Not to mention deer are social creatures, they will hookup with other deer.

But something to think about if you are someone who won't shoot a mature doe early in the season. Just because a mature doe walks out into a field alone doesn't mean that she's by herself and is dry. I have seen so many times a doe walk out and then 5-10-15-20 min later here comes the little one or little ones. They were just off doing what they do. So where does one draw the line? Me? I'm taking the shot as soon as it presents itself. You? That's for you to decide.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob took the words right out of my mouth. Here in MD, does are a requirement -- you must shoot at least 2 of them in order to open up your 2nd buck tag, so I don't hesitate to shoot a couple mature does when theopportunities present themselves.