HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - To shoot or not to shoot?
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 12:35 PM
Rob/PA Bowyer
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: To shoot or not to shoot?

It's your decision and your decision alone what to do when in a stand. You made a decision and you stood by it, we should all be so diciplined.

However, I would have found nothing wrong with shooting that particular mature doe especially if the fawns/offspring were out of spots and more particularly if I could determine that both offspring were button bucks. When it comes to button bucks, your doing yourself a favor by taking the doe out. When it comes to yearling dispersal, the doe will push her male fawns off and they can wonder for miles out of your area forever but when momma doe is gone, the buck offspring are less likely to leave an area at all.

Regarding doe fawns, this time of year they are plenty large enough to survive without the momma doe. You could have easily have taken her without worry about her offspring.

Either way, it was your hunt and it appears you made the right decision for you but had you decided to take her and told us the same story all the while supplying us a picture with your beaming face behind that doe. I'd be saying congratulations.