Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A hunter's stance on the WHA >

A hunter's stance on the WHA

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A hunter's stance on the WHA

Old 08-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A hunter's stance on the WHA

Still missing my point. I know you don't care what I think. I don't care if you bait/feed. First everyone hated the darting, then that went away, now a lot of people were commenting on the fences and I thought that was a little funny since fenced ranches and hunting are all over the place. So I pointed that out, it just so happened that the link I used to point that out had a lot of info on their baiting practices(they state that each hunter will be assigned a feeder and a tripod)and I did insert my opinion on that ranch (not baiting in general) and I did depict their methods/practices in my post, to quote myself:

"You can find outfittersfrom links hereat Hunting.Netthat advertise fenced hunting grounds with feed trucks and feeders, and if it's legalso be itbut thats not what I consider bowhunting."

The guys I know with feedersdon't hunt on top of their sites they simply use them to provide supplemental feeding with premium feed andmineral supplements during the off season and throughout the winter.
I like you was not trying to be confrontational, about baiting anyway,just pointing out a double standard in regards to the fencing. My main thought is like most, I am opposed to what the WHA came out with and stands for(the further commercialization of hunting) but are they going away?If theyare not, can their format be changed even more so the end productis less offensive to the hunting communityandothers as well.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I completely understand vc1111, also there was a lot more in my post so try not to take that particular quote out of context.
NEW61375, you're right about one thing...he sounds like a "stubborn, profit-minded businessman." He is out to capitalize on hunting at the expense of hunting.

I disagree with his idea. To me, this is a situation that calls for anything but negotiation with those of his ilk. To me this is a time for stern words spoken in clear and certain voices.

Yea, money talks...so does bad public relations and if he gets enough negative voices speaking in concert he'll be forced to abandon this stupidity because it will be a clear loser, not a profit-maker. Voices that seek to patronize him and find middle ground can only encourage him to go forward.

So I guessmy question is can anything good come of this? It is not a matter of me accepting the WHA or gettingpast the negatives it' more a matter of being realistic. Realistically this thing will probably get off the ground but Hopefully there won't be enough people watching or good enough ratings to keep it around.
"Can anything good come of this"
"...its more a matter of being realistic..."
"...this thing will probably get off the ground..."

You say these things and then you go on to suggest we provide "contructive criticism" or seek to find something "at the least a little more accpetance from the hunting community." You also say that you don't see this being all that different from current hunting show???

Again, with all due respect, I heard you loud and clear the first time. I'm taking what you suggest in context and stating that there is no room to negotiate; its a time to stand up and speak in clear and certain terms. He should hear voices in concert condemning such a stupid idea. Those that would participate in this "game" should also be made aware of the disdain with which they will be held for partaking in this scheme.

The man actually suggested darting whitetails as part of a "hunting" game....and we should see what we can do to mitigate such ideas with him?

I think your heart is good, but people that would come up with such an idea don't deserve your goodness, they deserve a verbal boot where the sun does not normally shine.

Old 08-28-2006, 11:10 PM
Typical Buck

Theres nothing to argue about. They need to be stopped. Whatever it takes!
Old 08-29-2006, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well that sounds like a good idea. But let me ask a question. What should/can the average joe hunter do tohelp cancel the WHA? Iread a lot of input about the WHA but is there a petition to sign, do we contact the WHA directly voicing our individualthoughts of opposition, what??
I knowthat because of strong opposition they have lost a lot of sponsor dollars but why are they not going away? What else can be done?

"There is nothing to argue about. They need to be stopped. Whatever ittakes." isaquote fromAnthony T. How? And what if despite our best efforts we can't. I know noone wants to hear that but what if...

That's it for me on the WHA thread postsbutI'll keep reading. They seem to go in circles. Probably my fault.....over and out!!
Old 08-29-2006, 06:26 AM

With your approach, nothing will be accomplished at all--except to propel him further into his unsavory intentions. To be diplomatic is not in any form condoning. The only way for someone to listen to you is for you to stop screaming and use some self control and tact--hence the harmless as doves, yet wise as serpents approach. The voice of reason is much more apt to be listened to than an 'in your face' approach. I have an open dialogue with him which gives me an oppurtunity to voice my concerns and even have had him admit to having been short sighted in some aspects. What have you accomplished? If, after he has heard the real concerns and he insists on something that isn't acceptible, then all of us have the option to pull the plug in the form of contacting the advertisers.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Or we could just burn the books.

Honestly....that's what this sounds like, to me.

Why wouldn't EVERYONE take the opportunity to talk to Farbman?Ifyou have LEGITIMATE pointsofcontention with the man or his ideas......START A DIALOGUE. This reminds me SO MUCH of people complaining about thegovernment.....then not exercising their right to VOTE.

I'll say it again.....I'll likely not be in his camp whenall is said and done.My decisions won't be based on factless emotion or baseless innuendo, though. I had concerns. I talked to him. I'm not NEARLY as upset with the format as I used to be.

Is ithow "I" think hunting should be depicted? Promoted? No.Does Bill in WI care what "I" think? No.Am Inaiveenough to think that "I" speak for all hunters? No.

Am I willing to give this guy enough room to hang himself (if, in fact, he does so)? Yes.

Or we could just stoke up the fires and gather all the books.

Jeff
Old 08-29-2006, 07:21 AM

Or we could act like PETA, and Green Peace and go around torching places and vandalizing to get our point across![:-]We certainly don't need to act on our impulses and emotions---be sure of your own motives first as well!
Old 08-29-2006, 08:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

WHA is no different than any other show now. The drugs were illegal, the FDA and MI DNR took care of it. Farbman Change his format because he had to, not for the good of hunting.

Jeff is correct IMO, let farbamn hang himself, this event has got so much bad press it will never fly.

Do not watch it, nobody watches the show, no sponsors. No sponosors, no money, I do not think there is a hunting company willing to touch the WHA.

I too talk to Farbman, he will call you. I have no desire to talk to the man again.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well that sounds like a good idea. But let me ask a question. What should/can the average joe hunter do tohelp cancel the WHA? Iread a lot of input about the WHA but is there a petition to sign, do we contact the WHA directly voicing our individualthoughts of opposition, what??
I knowthat because of strong opposition they have lost a lot of sponsor dollars but why are they not going away? What else can be done?
If you're going to contact him, don't cowtow to him. Tell him precisely what you think. Do not negotiate with him. What is so hard to understand about that?

With your approach, nothing will be accomplished at all--except to propel him further into his unsavory intentions. To be diplomatic is not in any form condoning.
Not sure who you're addrsssing, but in any event, I say "Hogwash." No one is suggesting that we should collectively scream at him. Where did you get such a ridiculous idea?

I have an open dialogue with him which gives me an oppurtunity to voice my concerns and even have had him admit to having been short sighted in some aspects. What have you accomplished?
Again, not sure who you are talking to...but I'd say neither of us have "accomplished" anything and that is not what I addressed in this thread so far. What I have addressed is the idea of not backing up or even trying to address "can anything good come of this." If you don't like what he's suggesting and you think its detrimental to hunting and the hunting community then that should be your approach, period.

Or we could act like PETA, and Green Peace and go around torching places and vandalizing to get our point across!
Here you show how completely off the deep end you are in your response and approach. You infer that anyone that disagrees with negotiating with a man that would drug whitetails is somehow acting like PETA.

Yea. Right.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:02 PM

Well, since you haven't been privvy to any conersations I've had with DF, you really don't know what I am talking about. You are privileged to take your approach,and I will take mine. I have been party to the emotional, unreasonable tactic in the past , concerning issues with far greater inplications and ramifications than WHA,and know that all it does is to push someone as determined as he is to be more determined than ever. Do you really expect him to concede because he has received some well intentioned, yet ill advised rhetorical protests? I can ssure you that he won't. The only language that he will understand is firm, statistically accurate, well thought out and well delivered facts. A part of that is the emotional issues and the image reflections, but mostly it will be his pocket book. If he can't be convinced through these means, then he won't ever be.

Quick Reply: A hunter's stance on the WHA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.