Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need opinions on Bino's >

Need opinions on Bino's

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need opinions on Bino's

Old 08-19-2006, 03:08 PM

Default Need opinions on Bino's

My mind is set on getting a pair of golden ring binoculars. I have looked through these (8x42)in all light conditions, as well as others in the same class (rich hunting buddies), and IMO the golden rings have the same if not betterclarity andperformance as some that cost much more. I hunt a mixture of open prarie, as well as low-light wooded areas with dense understory. Which power would you go with (8x42 or 10x42) and why. I have never looked through the 10x before, and don't have an opportunity to-- how much will things change (Light Transmission and Field of view)if I buy them instead of the 8x?
Old 08-19-2006, 03:24 PM

Default RE: Need opinions on Bino's

How much are either of these gonna cost you?
Old 08-19-2006, 06:01 PM

Either on I can get a substantial discount on off of retail...Leupold offers active hunter education instructors factory discounts on all of their products...the difference in price (8x vs 10x) is about $85.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:17 AM

....before you make the call, try out a pair of Minox binos. They were once a division of Leica and they are still producing fantastic glass in Germany. The price on them is about $300-400 less than the Gold Rings and the quality is amazing. I hunt open country for mulies and elk out here in Colorado and the difference between my glass and my buddies Swaros is very small.....definitely not worth twice the cost.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:28 AM

I really like my Zeiss Conquest 8x40's, they are on sale at Cabela's right now for 759.00 or so.
They are really sharp and normaly retail about 999.99
Bill in MI
Old 08-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Dominant Buck

You have to decide that. You will get more magnification of course with the 10X but will loose low light viewing ability. Also, depending on how much you view, actually have the binos to your eyes, the 8X would be easier as far as eye strain. All things being equal,Divide the objective lens number by the power and you get a factor. Example, your 8X42s the factor is 42 divided by 8 equals 5+. With your 10x42s your factor is 4+. The best factor for low light viewing is a 7. This is because of the limitations of the human eye. The ideal bino for all day, low light, non stop viewing would be something like a 7x50. Coincidently, the size of the venable army binos of old. You have to decide what most of your viewing is like and a what ranges. Higher magnification is good and bad. Low power is good and bad. The average human can not hold anything larger than 10 power still enough to take advantage of the extra magnification. In my close quarters hunting and glassing I opted for the 7x42. Gives me a factor of 6, yet kept the binos small enough I can shoot comfortably with them on my chest. I'm telling you, buy the best glass you can afford. Consider it your last pair of binos if you can afford one of the top 3 and are willing to pop for the big bucks. Put them in dark places, I mean real dark places and the cream comes to the surface. I viewed and tested binos in all light conditions side by side out doors for 2 years in stores from Colorado to New York. When someone tells me his $200 binos are just as good as the big 3, I just smile and think to myself, he hasn't found his last pair of binoculars yet.[8D] Buy the best glass you can afford. There are some great binos in the $300-500 range. If you can afford $200, find a way to double it. If you can afford $500, find a way to double it and you'll have your last pair of binos. I narrowed itdown to 2binosLeica and Swarovski. The tie was broken with $150 price break on the Swarovskis. I've never regretted my decision.

And let me tell you, their service is fantastic. I lost an objective lens cover. I called to order a set, the girls said OK. I said you need a credit card number? She said, what for, they're free to Swarovski owners. Then she ask if I ever sent them in for service. I said why, the work fine. After 4 years all i had was little cut in the armoring. I then ask about their new screw out eyepieces instead of the pull out I had. She said, why don't you send them to us and let us go over them for you, so I did. They came back in about 3 or 4 weeks. New twist out eye cups, new armoring, new focus adjustment assembly, and yup the replacement lens covers that was all I wanted. The cost to me, shipping one way. I called to thank them so much. They said, just send them in every 3 or 4 years and we'll service them for you. Cost again is shipping one way.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the advise. I have considered all brands, but Leupold has treated me exceptionally well so far in all my optics, and given the discount on the golden rings, its a no-brainer. Looks like I'll be going with the 8x -- I have a set of Wind River Cascades at 10x already.You're right......Ineed something easier on my eyes, especially since I look through them 3-4 hours per hunt.