Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

New Bino's.....

Old 05-22-2006, 08:20 AM

Default New Bino's.....

I'm Looking @ Buying some new Binoculars for Hunting. I was wondering what most people used as far as power and brand? I'm Hunting Deer out of a stand and even Glassin for Muleys out West in Idaho.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:01 AM

Default RE: New Bino's.....

I use a pair of Nikon ATB 8x42... They work great for hunting here in NY.. Thick woods and some open areas.. I used them last year in WY and for looking over the open country I would have liked to have a pair of the high end bino's...

for everyday use at home you can't go wrong with a pair of Nikon's and you wouln't break the bank..
Old 05-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Pretty much the same here. I prefer 8x over 10x for the type of hunting I do here in Pennsylvania. Out west I would probably opt for 10x due to the longer ranges. 42 mm is probably the most common objective size though there are some 32-36 mm models on the market now which you might consider.

I prefer Nikon as well as I believe they give you the most bang for your buck. The Nikon Monarch 8x36s that just debuted are excellent ergonomically and optically. Priced between $200 and $250 which fits most folks' budgets.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Nikon Action that zoom from 8X to (if I remember correctly) 20X. Very, very clear picture. I can even see deer out on a wheat field well before any sun rays are in the sky. When you zoom them in to a more powerful setting, the picture does get a little darker. Usually, though, I never take them off of the 8X.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:24 PM

I have some of the Nikon action series, mine are 10-22 x 50, and they perform like binos costing WAY more money. I was so impressed with them I bought my son some 8 x 42's for Christmas. My father even prefers them over his Leupolds that he paid over 2x as much for. I'm not saying they are the BEST out there, but they are a dang good buy for the money.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:51 PM

For the $$$ Nikon Monarchs are probably the best glass out there (Just my 2 cents) I have a pair of 8x42s that I use for stalk hunting because there is less distortion if you are a little winded. They also offer excellent exit pupil for low light ability (5.3mm +/-). Used to be many sources said that 7mm exit pupil was the most a healthy eye could use...I have read recently that some sources believe 5mm is the most a heathy eye can make use of? All I know is they have excellent lowlight capability and outstanding glass. I also have a set of 10x42s (4.2 mm exit pupil) that I use for long distance glassing, but more frequently use in a stand where I am still and the magnification is greater but the distrtion is less as you are not breathing very hard. Any way you go... if you buy one of the Monarch ATB series I think you will be exceptionally pleased with the glass. The only downside to the Nikon binocs is that the lense covers suck. The eyepiece covers are OK, but the objective covers are _ _ _ _, unless they have changed them in the last few years. I replaced mine with a set of universal covers I purchased through Eagle Optics. Also...if you do not use one...buy on of the Crooked Horn or equivalent bino systems...They are the only way to wear your glass. Good Luck.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

10X42 woud be my recommendation for hunting out west and scoping from long distances. I broke down a year ago and bought Swarovskis. They are absolutely awesome, however I had to sell my oldest child to get them (I'm kidding, but they are a big investment). Nikons are a great glass and if you want to spend a little more, I have also glassed through the new leupold Gold Ring 10X42 and they are very, very good, but still around $1,000. Good luck.

Kelly
Old 06-03-2006, 08:02 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Just my opinion but I think Steiners are where the best glasses start. Less than Swarovskis but better than Nikon, B&L etc. I have 7X50s and 10X50s and there is not a whole lot of difference in what you see at 3 kms away. When the range gets to be 5 kms or more the 10X50s are better but when dusk arrives the 7X50s are awesome! Focus once and thats it, no more diddling with a focus knob in low light. They are light but a bit bulky but worth it because of the clarity, light management and brightness.