Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need bino's suggestion >

Need bino's suggestion

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need bino's suggestion

Old 10-26-2008, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need bino's suggestion

It doesn't have to be top of the line but I want good quality and a reliable reputable name. Price range is 2 to 3 hundred. It has to be compact, light gathering, fog resistent, and durable. Other features that I should be looking for please let me know.

I'm not sure if I should get a variable power or not and in fact, I don't know what magnification would be good for whitetail glassing up to 3 or 4 hundred yards.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need bino's suggestion

I have Nikons love them.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

vortex all the way......http://www.vortexoptics.com/binoculars

Old 10-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nikon Monarch ATB's ..that what I got last year when I asked for suggestions..and the board was overwhelming. They made a great choice. I know carry them everywhere!
Old 10-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought the leupold cascades 10X42'sa couple years ago and have been thouroughly pleased with them....The main thing I like about them is they don't have the eye relief adjustment and they are always real clear...I have problems getting the eye relief adjusted to be clear on those style bino's (including higher quality one's), maybe that's just my eye's but these, I have never had that issue and they are clear ay all rangesand have never fogged yet!!!! Good luck with it, I know there are many good optics on the market and it's a tough decision!!!!
Old 10-26-2008, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also have the Leupold Cascades but in 8X42 and I'm very satisfied with them.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:36 PM

ORIGINAL: JNTURK

vortex all the way......http://www.vortexoptics.com/binoculars

Ditto! These binos are very reasonable priced and are great quality. Check them out, you won't be dissappointed.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Nikon Monarch ATB's ..that what I got last year when I asked for suggestions..and the board was overwhelming. They made a great choice. I know carry them everywhere!
Same here and although I like Bushnells as a cheap bino, that's exactly what I had. I then had Bruntons and although I really liked them they were bulky.

I do find my Nikon Monarch ATB's to be flawless thus far.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

I made my living in the optics business for many years. Optician, Navy opticalman, opthalmic instrument repair, lazer optics tech.

Most of the brand names mentioned are pretty good. Nikon, Vortex, Leopold all make very good optics. Exceptionally good for the money. Personally I own the Nikon ATB 8 X 42.Now I'm not saying that the Nikons are better (or worse) but I will make some suggestions.

Which ever brand you chose.............get either an 8 X 42 or8 X 46. Here's 4 good reasons. 1... You'll have a great field of view, 2... a large exit pupilwill give you exceptional viewing in poor light situations AND because the exit pupil is larger your viewing will be more steady because that larger "dot" of light will cover your pupil better...more completely, 3... better resolution.....what ever you view will look sharper.... bigger power also magnifies flaws, heat waves, etc, 4...8 X will give youmuch more steady viewing, the more power the more shaking. Its amazing how much more you can see with a little less power just because you can hold them more steady. And remember alot of times you'll be trying to hold them steady with ONE hand under alot of hunting conditions.

With optics power is WAY over rated. Did you know it only takes 20 power to see the rings of the planet Saturn?

Last note........NEVER buy zoom binoulars ie 7-15 X 35 unless you really enjoy throwing money away.

Hope this helps...........
Old 10-26-2008, 02:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: vichris

I made my living in the optics business for many years. Optician, Navy opticalman, opthalmic instrument repair, lazer optics tech.

Most of the brand names mentioned are pretty good. Nikon, Vortex, Leopold all make very good optics. Exceptionally good for the money. Personally I own the Nikon ATB 8 X 42.Now I'm not saying that the Nikons are better (or worse) but I will make some suggestions.

Which ever brand you chose.............get either an 8 X 42 or8 X 46. Here's 4 good reasons. 1... You'll have a great field of view, 2... a large exit pupilwill give you exceptional viewing in poor light situations AND because the exit pupil is larger your viewing will be more steady because that larger "dot" of light will cover your pupil better...more completely, 3... better resolution.....what ever you view will look sharper.... bigger power also magnifies flaws, heat waves, etc, 4...8 X will give youmuch more steady viewing, the more power the more shaking. Its amazing how much more you can see with a little less power just because you can hold them more steady. And remember alot of times you'll be trying to hold them steady with ONE hand under alot of hunting conditions.

With optics power is WAY over rated. Did you know it only takes 20 power to see the rings of the planet Saturn?

Last note........NEVER buy zoom binoulars ie 7-15 X 35 unless you really enjoy throwing money away.

Hope this helps...........
Great information.

I went with the 8 x 42 Nikon ATB's for no other reason but to stay IBO legal for sanctioned shoots. It's good to know I made the right decision.

Quick Reply: Need bino's suggestion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.