Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tips for introducing a fellow hunter to archery >

Tips for introducing a fellow hunter to archery

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tips for introducing a fellow hunter to archery

Old 08-17-2006, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default Tips for introducing a fellow hunter to archery

My wife works with a guy who is very interested in getting into shooting a bow and bowhunting. He rifle hunts now but has never shot a bow and doesnt know anything about how to get started. He asked her if i could give him some pointers and help get him started. He basically needs to know it all, how to choose a bow and accesories, learning the shooting form, and basically how a bow works and how to use it properly. Any tips on where i should start? I plan on starting with the basics of choosing a bow, making sure he gets something that fits him as far as draw length, feel and poundage and not trying to get the best, latest, fastest bow out there. It would probably be best for him to start with a less expensive bow, probably something that comes in a package deal already set up. Maybe like a reflex, parker, or diamond package. There is so much to teach and tell him. I just really want to stress how important PRACTICE is with a bow, and finding a bow that you can shoot comfortably. Alot of people make the mistake when getting into archery of buying the latest greatest bow and spending a fortune, only to have trouble shooting it accurately because they lack the proper form. Then they get frustrated and guit, instead of starting small getting the basics down before they sink a ton of money and effort into the sport.

It would help to hear from other hunters on what to tell him. Im sure there are plenty of things i have forgotten or may not have the best advice on. I definelty plan on taking him to a reputable archery shop to talk to the guys there and try diffrent bow. Help me to bring another into our great sport.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Tips for introducing a fellow hunter to archery

I'd start by introducing him to your bow. He might not be able to shoot it but you could go over your bow with him, show him how the mechanics work and then shoot it for him showing him the capablilities of a bow with much practice. See then if it's something he's interested in.

Talk about the bow season, how much different it is and how the deer are in their natural patterns and not pushed like they normally are in rifle seasons etc...

Visit a local proshop and find his draw length and test shoot some lower poundage bows etc...

Someone who has never shot a bow will be weak in the mechanics of drawing a bow. I've seen some big guys fail to draw lower poundage bows...it's technic and practice.

You'll do fine if your love for the archery shines through.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:24 PM

Default RE: Tips for introducing a fellow hunter to archery

Belted-

Like Rob said I would go with him. He would probably be more comfortable asking you questions while you're at a pro shop that asking the pro. And youmay be able to explain things to him than a pro. If I wouldn't have had a buddy with me, I would've been intimidated, etc. Being a newbie, he doesn't know what to ask, what to look for, etc. Someone may sell him something he may not need. So, I would say going with him would help a lot. Also, patience! My buddy was really patient with all my questions, and that helped a lot.