Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 To my fellow Texas Archery Hunters >

To my fellow Texas Archery Hunters

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To my fellow Texas Archery Hunters

Old 04-30-2009, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default To my fellow Texas Archery Hunters

The state government is trying to pass a house bill 968 which would allow anyone to hunt with a crossbow during the archery season if they chose so. This is not right. That is like allowing rifle hunters shoot deer with guns during bow season. If they do this they should have a special crossbow season at the end of bow season. What is yall's opinion?
Old 04-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: To my fellow Texas Archery Hunters

Here are the people that we must tell to keep bow season for the archers and for the handicap archers and not for the lazy.

State Senator Craig Estes (R-30) Chairman
(512) 463-0130
[email protected]

State Senator Carlos Uresti (D-19) Vice Chair
(512) 463-0119
[email protected]

State Senator Glenn Hegar (R-18)
(512) 463-0118
[email protected]

State Senator Juan Hinojosa (D-20)
(512) 463-0120
[email protected]

State Senator Mike Jackson (R-11)
(512) 463-0111
[email protected]
Old 04-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

In Florida we have a 2 day crossbow only season right after archery only season...
Old 04-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's what just happened in PA. I barely knew about until it was passed. If you want to voice your opinion, you better do it.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

When you think about it: archery is the art of shooting an arrow with a vertically hand held bow and crossbow is shooting a bolt (projectile) with a horizontal machine held bow. It seems to me that they are totally different and the crossbow acts and looks more like a rifle than a bow and arrow.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

I really don't see the big deal with it. I know people that shoot one due to shoulder injuries and I don't see that it increases their chances of shooting a deer. Also I haven't seen that they are more accurate than me at the range. If they are ethical hunters it really doesn't extend their range in which they can shoot, 40-45 yards should be the longest shot. I'm not saying I'm for it and hope it stays for people with disabilities here in Illinois but if it changes it's not a big deal. JMO
Old 05-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hammerman

I really don't see the big deal with it. I know people that shoot one due to shoulder injuries and I don't see that it increases their chances of shooting a deer. Also I haven't seen that they are more accurate than me at the range. If they are ethical hunters it really doesn't extend their range in which they can shoot, 40-45 yards should be the longest shot. I'm not saying I'm for it and hope it stays for people with disabilities here in Illinois but if it changes it's not a big deal. JMO
I don't see any big deal with it either, there is no shot advantage with a crossbow concerning distance, there is no increase in FPS, and most croosbows create more noise which is a disadvantage. There is absolutly no advantages one way or the otherIMO, I have one myself and I use it just as I do all of my weapons.
I can also tell ya that crossbows have been around for a few thousand years also....well... I won't go any further on the subject, it's already been hashed out in many many threads and forums.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: targethogs

I don't see any big deal with it either, there is no shot advantage with a crossbow concerning distance, there is no increase in FPS, and most croosbows create more noise which is a disadvantage. There is absolutly no advantages one way or the otherIMO, I have one myself and I use it just as I do all of my weapons.
I can also tell ya that crossbows have been around for a few thousand years also....well... I won't go any further on the subject, it's already been hashed out in many many threads and forums.
It's just not archery....and the association with archery devalues all the merits that an archer achieves!
Old 05-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Geronimo

ORIGINAL: targethogs

It's just not archery....and the association with archery devalues all the merits that an archer achieves!
I'm sure the trad archers were saying the same thing about compound bows when they first came on the scene.I don't think it's a big deal we are all hunters and should stick together,we have bigger issuies to deal with rather to fight amongts ourselves,after all it is still a form of hunting.We as hunters have to stick togetherand not let these kinds of petty differences pull us apart,that is just what the antis want to see is us all fighting about letting hunters hunt with crossbows during archery season and while we're not looking they pass some laws that truly hurt the hunting community.Just my 2cents worth.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Geronimo,

Don't you think we should value the merits of hunting in general...and just not archery...and anwser this, was there an issue between trad bows and compounds....the answer to that is NO because we hunt in the same season with both of them....and compounds have only been around for 30-35 years (aprox)....crossbows have been around for a couple of thousand years....maybe I am just taking this issue wrong (has already been hashed out in pages of past threads), you could be a archer and not a hunter...and that is OK, if that is the case.

I shoot better with my trad bows and compounds than I do my crossbow...what threat could my crossbow be to anyone in a archery season...there are just no advantages....
Here in California, they are not included in the archery season, and we hunt with them in the gun season...and I really don't have a problem with any of it...I just go where others are not, and then I don't have to worry about it; Rifles, Shotguns, Bows or anything else that may be legal...they are all weapons to me...

Quick Reply: To my fellow Texas Archery Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.