Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Country music star Gentry charged ... >

Country music star Gentry charged ...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Country music star Gentry charged ...

Old 08-17-2006, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Country music star Gentry charged ...

Man this is a bummer, I really like their music. I wonder Gentry wouldnt just set up a legitimate black bear hunt for some big ones like up in Alberta etc. Crazy and disturbing IMO. Of course we dont know all the details but its sad he has to go and shoot a caged tame black bear.

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Troy Lee Gentry, half of the country music duo Montgomery Gentry, has been charged with killing a tame bear and then making it look as if it was a hunting trophy, authorities said on Wednesday.
A top country act since the late 1990s with such hits as "Good Clean Fun," Gentry, 39, was arraigned in federal court this week on a charge of conspiracy to falsely label an animal.
The charge carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $20,000 fine.
According to an indictment unsealed this week, in October 2004 Gentry paid $4,650 to shoot the "trophy-caliber" bear named "Cubby" at the Minnesota Wildlife Connection in northern Minnesota, which advertises itself as a place where animals can be photographed in the wild.

[/align][/align]
After using a bow and arrow to kill the animal inside its pen, Gentry and the owner of the preserve tagged the bear and registered it with the state as if it had been killed in the wild. A videotape was edited to make it appear that Gentry had hunted down the bear.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=entertainmentNews&storyI D=2006-08-16T225631Z_01_N16206352_RTRUKOC_0_US-LEISURE-GENTRY.xml&archived=False

Old 08-17-2006, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Country music star Gentry charged ...

Did he at least put out a 50gal barrel full of peanut butter.... This can't be good for record sales...

This guy is an IDIOT... I actually can't stand them because they make it a pain to get their music off their cd's onto your iPod or mp3 player.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

"This guy is an IDIOT... I actually can't stand them because they make it a pain to get their music off their cd's onto your iPod or mp3 player."

Umm i dont think its them, its the record company making it harder for you to upload the music to mp3's and Ipods. Or it could just be you. SureI dont agree with what he did and Im not saying it was right, but youll be amazed...this isnt going to hurt the record sales one bit.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

Well it's not me.... I was able to do so, it just a pain in the @$# It's actually the Musicians that have the final say in how they want to distribute the music. If they want to make it easy for their fans thet can dictate that. But as we bots agree Killing a bear in captivity is just cowardly....
Old 08-17-2006, 06:38 AM

They sucked before this IMO , But this is lame..... Someone should put him in a cage and shoot nubs at him.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've met them twice for two private shows that they put on for a group of about 50 people. They were really cool. I partied with them in the penthouse of the hotel and they brought peach moonshine.They are a cool group of guys and don't suffer from star shock.

Wis Bow, the recording companies make those decision and they have very little say in the matter. I used to work in the music business.

I really don't care what he did with the bear. He bought it and should be able to do with what he pleases as long as it isn't torture or cruelty. It isn't very sporting but neither is high fence hunting.

Tom
Old 08-17-2006, 06:50 AM

well what do you expect when big named hunters like Jimmy Houston do things like this and get away with it.Things will just keep getting worse unless we all do some thing about it.There are some thing like 90,000 members on this site alone.Plenty enough to be heard if we could all stop fighting about what bow is better or what type of broadhead if best,and worry about the real issues that are hurting out sport" way of life ". Like guys like Troy and Jimmy making headlines for the bad things, you never hear much about guys doing good even tho there are way more guys doing good then there are bad,None of us alone my be famous or rich but as a group we are huge.Anyway you look at it,at the end of the day it is us real hunters that are hurt by this type of thing and only we can stop it !!!
Old 08-17-2006, 06:52 AM

ORIGINAL: statjunk

I really don't care what he did with the bear. He bought it and should be able to do with what he pleases as long as it isn't torture or cruelty. It isn't very sporting but neither is high fence hunting.

Tom
It is cruelty since he shot it in the cage. There was no hunting in this equation. Just saying
Old 08-17-2006, 09:18 AM

"I really don't care what he did with the bear. He bought it and should be able to do with what he pleases as long as it isn't torture or cruelty. It isn't very sporting but neither is high fence hunting. "

I'm with you - MOST of the way on this one. If he had just decided I'm going to go shoot a caged bear (if that's legal in MN, not sure) and have it mounted to show my friends, then by all means go for it. As long as there was no cruelty involved and he had the money to buy some meat/hide legally, that's cool. The same thing happens on deer and elk farms to thin the herd. BUT, this guy tagged the bear as if he had shot it in the wild and they edited the video to make it out to be something it isn't. That's where I have the problem. He's trying to pretend to be a hunter when he's a shooter. For God's sake, this guy could easily have afforded to pay the best bear guide there is out there to lead him to a bear in the wild, probably a monster, and would have had a much better time doing it that way.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

this guy could easily have afforded to pay the best bear guide there is out there to lead him to a bear in the wild, probably a monster, and would have had a much better time doing it that way.
You're probably right though I would bet the most expensive things guys like that have is time.

I agree he should not have tagged it as wild. But do I really care, not so much. I think there are much worse things out there like poaching and WHO.

Tom

Quick Reply: Country music star Gentry charged ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.