Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Which arrows would you suggest >

Which arrows would you suggest

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which arrows would you suggest

Old 08-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default Which arrows would you suggest

So I went to store with a buddy and he was going to shoot some bows. (I had told myself before we went that I wasn't going to get anything that day, so I was just watching)....everybody knows how that goes.
So I ask the guy if I could try out the Switchback XT..after shooting quite a few, very tight groups I fell in love with everything about that bow..the feel of it, how quiet and smooth it was..so of course. I now own a Switchback XT. I had planned on testing out a bunch of bows before I made a decision, but I had no complaints about the Matthews.
So now the big dilemma is, what arrows to buy. I would love to go out west next year in pursuit of elk. So I need something that would have enough gusto for that. This year I am just going to be hunting whitetail.
I was just wondering if I should use the same arrows for both situations, or get different setups for the two.
The bow is 70lbs, with a 29" draw length..don't know how much the draw length matters besides what the weight of the arrow would be considering...
Sorry for rambling, if I confused anybody...truly am sorry, and would be thankful for any advice. Just a little excited and can't wait to get it in my hands and sighted in.

Old 08-12-2006, 11:11 PM

Default RE: Which arrows would you suggest

Well, ACC's are just simply the best arrow out there. So if you force me to pick only one, that's it. But, in no particular order, I would look at and choose from these.....something in a 340 spine w/ your set up....

CX Maxima Hunters
Easton Axis (or Obsession)
Gold Tip Pro Hunter
Old 08-13-2006, 05:28 AM
Fork Horn

Buck Slayer, I have just switched over to the Maxima Hunter 350's . They fly really great with the new G5 Montecs I just got. I love that setup with my XT.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

with that set up you will have no problem with 350's .I shoot carbon express out of mine with great results
Old 08-13-2006, 07:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Buck Slayer, congratulations on your new bow, you picked a winner there. Please don't become a fan boy however and biased like many can be. I shot the Switchback and fell in love with it too, however I then went ahead and shot the others and walked away with the Allegiance. Had I only shot the Switchback, I would have purchased it however one never knows if a bow is better suited for them unless they shoot them. You may have discovered that another brand might have been the right bow however, I know that you will have years and years of love out of your Switchback XT..congratulations again. Sorry for the wind but perhaps there is an underlying message to others in there somewhere...you know.

Now, I have to concur with mobowhuntr....if I have to pick one, and I have, it's the Easton ACC's. I don't feel they are the best arrow because I shoot them, I shoot them because I feel they are the best arrow. Obviously if I shoot them, I could shoot any arrow, there's a reason why so many of us spend the money.

As for elk and whitetail, you certainly can shoot the same setup as far as bow/arrow combo. With the ACC's and depending your arrow length, the 3-49's or 3-60's will take both animals with a quaility head.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well you don't want an arrow too light.. While the maxima's are a super arrow I think something like the ACC would probably be better for Elk. Lots of great choices of course, if you like the skinney arrows then the Axis with the 340 spine is a good choice, CX makes some great arrows.. But overall it's tough to beat the ACC's for out west.
And yup, good for deer also.. IF it's going to kill an Elk it will kill a deer, and probably the tree behind the deer too.
Just try to keep your KE up and you'll be golden.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

Thats exactly what I was wondering guys...thanks alot. And I tried not to be biased. I just felt the bow was a perfect fit, and shot exactly how I would want my bow to shoot. Thanks