Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
what broadhead do you suggest?? >

what broadhead do you suggest??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

what broadhead do you suggest??

Old 11-26-2002, 12:39 PM

Default what broadhead do you suggest??

I am shooting a Jennings buckmaster with a 29" draw length and 65#. The arrows are beamon IHC(?) 400. What grain and brand do you recommend? I was shooting some cheapie brand and when I took my doe two of the three blades broke off in her and I didn`t get a passthrough. It was still plenty lethal but I want to make sure I anchor them from here on out. I just didn`t like the fact that they fell apart like that on me.Thanks

Hack
Old 11-26-2002, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what broadhead do you suggest??

There are several top quality b-head designs to choose from today. Don't scimp,.... this is truly one item you should NEVER get cheap on!!! My favorite, and by far the most devastating I've seen, is the GKF Demon aka Steelhead. These heads fly like darts.... exactly with your field points and hit like a ton of bricks!!! The solid steel ferrule will hold together no matter what you run into and the head penetrates like no other!!! Of the 15 whitetails (up to or exceeding 300#) I took with this head NOT A ONE has taken more than 60 yards on me!!! Those are results you can count on!!!
Old 11-26-2002, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm partial to the InnerLoc heads. My second choice is the WASP SST Hammer. I use 75gr version. Whatever you pick just be sure it isn't too heavy for your arrow spine. Many of the carbons shoot better with a slightly lighter tip. Don't know why but that's the way it is. If you find this then don't fight it. Just shoot what works.

Old 11-26-2002, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

I've taken whitetails with 100 gr. Muzzy's,
Thunderhead's, and Wasp SST's-all quality
broadheads that you can't go wrong with.
Do some research on this for yourself.
Take a look at various BH test results,
the majority of the time you'll see the
same manufacturers coming out on top.
I know 5Shot did some extensive testing
awhile back...try and run a 'search'.

Here are some more BH test results:
http://www.american-hunter.com/broad...dhead_test.htm

Good Luck
TB

Old 11-26-2002, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

With your setup you could shoot most any head of reasonable size. tune your bow properly and pick a quality head. their are by far more good ones than bad ones. I prefer Muzzy heads, but rocky mtn heads are great as well as thunderheads, steel force, Magnus, wasp, golden key heads, rockets, Slick tricks, Vortex and the list goes on and on. I can say though that I would stay away from any broadhead made by Sattilite, as well as those "cheap" heads. useualy recomend a 3 or 4 blade, replaceable fixed blade head. Ones made by the above manufactures will work great out of a well tuned setup.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 11-27-2002, 10:33 PM
CWB

Badluck, I would recomend Rocket Slammerheads they have a 1-3/4" cutting area. They fly just like field points the same weight. They cut a big hole and put the deer down quickly, plus the leave a big blood trail.(usally fall in sight) I limit my shots to broadside or quartering away. I have never lost a deer with one. Over 12 kills with them, plus they work great on turkeys. I get compete pentration on every one and I only shoot 62lbs. Some of my friends have switched to them and they can not believe how quickly they put a deer down, if you make a good shot. One friend shot a 160 class buck- 180lbs. a couple of weeks ago, and he went down in 10 yards! Few make it more than 40 yards! Besides killing quickly, you don't have to worry if your broadheads and field points will fly to the same spot at the moment of truth.
Old 11-28-2002, 08:29 PM

The best broadhead that has crossed
my path is the Steel Force Premier.

This is a finely crafted cut-on-contact
broadhead that has awesome arrow flight.
Super blade edges. I like every thing
about it. Very strong and as I mentioned
just superb arrow flight.

I don't think the reliability of the
cut-on-contact design can be questioned.
Your chances of a pass through shot are
best with this type.

dxr
Old 11-29-2002, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

I've shot them all, and now that the Mega 112 is no longer in existence, (my personal all-time favorite) I've settled into the Wasp Hammer SST. Have taken many game animals with them, and couldn't be happier with their performance. (I also shoot 29" drawlength at 64-65#, with ICSCH 400's. Pinwheel 12

Edited by - Pinwheel 12 on 11/29/2002 07:24:25
Old 11-29-2002, 09:37 AM

Game Tracker Silver Tips from Wal-Mart!
They are inexpensive but are simular to the Rockets. I have had great results the past two years with these, 6 deer and haven't lost any. Check out my page for this year and you can see the broadhead.
http://members.cox.net/7340/Killpage.htm
Old 11-30-2002, 11:03 PM

I shoot the Rocket Mini Blaster 3L mech. head.

Good judgment comes from years of bad judgment.

Quick Reply: what broadhead do you suggest??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.