Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Okay, figure this one out.... >

Okay, figure this one out....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Okay, figure this one out....

Old 08-12-2006, 05:09 PM

Default Okay, figure this one out....

Okay, its been about a month now since I've picked up the bow seriously for the first time and started practicing... for those who answered my posts on the first day or so, here's the updates...
Travis, my friend at work who is an avid bow hunter has set me up with high dollar equipment... okay, not to have but loaners to practice with... I've had my bow sighted in with proper sites, tried one of those trigger releases (with the roller bearings), etc. etc...
what I'm finding is this... I still do better with shooting my compound bow stripped down, without sights, and by pulling the string back with my fingers....
yes, fingers... I still find this more comfortable than using the release, which strangely hurts my wrist when I use it and feels funny... granted, yes, I'm a wee bit more accurate with the trigger release but the feeling sucks.... it actually aggravates me more than anything....

as for the sites I can't figure it out.... I had one friend tell me that a few people actually do better by watching the arrow than with sites but it takes a bit longer to master that way....

when I use sights (or sites) I am random... sometimes I'm more dead on target than with no sites other times I'm way off the target... it depends on how I look at the sights and strain my eyes... without them I'm usually a few inches off here or there (at 65 feet) but consistent repeatedly.... at 30 feet or less I'm pretty accurate now without sites.....

so, what should I do? Try it stripped down and learn to compensate where I'm off or totally gear my bow up and hope I suddenly "get it" when that buck passes in front of me....
Old 08-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Okay, figure this one out....

Do what's right for you and how you feel you are the most accurate for hunting purposes...bowhunting is and should be personal, not what anyone else wants but what you want. Just know your limitations and don't shoot beyond them when that animal is out in front of you.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:16 PM

Rob,
Thanks for the advice... I don't know why, can't explain it, but right now (and actually since day 1) the more stripped down my bow was the better it felt.. I will admit I'm not 100% accurate, but I can stay more consistant and thus work towards accuracy better without extra equipment than with....

Old 08-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

shoot how you shoot best and feel comfortable. im new to archery but it almost sounds like you might have poor form and/or bad/no anchor points. if you had good form and a few anchor points i dont see how you could be on target one day with sites and off the target the next. practice at 10-15 yds till your slamming shafts then move back 5yards. thats how i learned. but form and anchors are important. i dont know how to shoot instinctive(without sights and everything)

to each his own..i dont care how you shoot...bowhunting is a very personal thing. gotta feel the shot and be confident in yourself and your weapon. find your grove and stick with it..good luck!.....archery can be frustrating. the main reason im not shooting right now. the last few days i been a little off. then i finally figured out my grip was bad and fixed that...but at the same time my front shoulder started clicking and hurting. im taking the night off and probably tomarrow too