HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Okay, figure this one out....
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2006, 05:09 PM
davewoodrum

Default Okay, figure this one out....

Okay, its been about a month now since I've picked up the bow seriously for the first time and started practicing... for those who answered my posts on the first day or so, here's the updates...
Travis, my friend at work who is an avid bow hunter has set me up with high dollar equipment... okay, not to have but loaners to practice with... I've had my bow sighted in with proper sites, tried one of those trigger releases (with the roller bearings), etc. etc...
what I'm finding is this... I still do better with shooting my compound bow stripped down, without sights, and by pulling the string back with my fingers....
yes, fingers... I still find this more comfortable than using the release, which strangely hurts my wrist when I use it and feels funny... granted, yes, I'm a wee bit more accurate with the trigger release but the feeling sucks.... it actually aggravates me more than anything....

as for the sites I can't figure it out.... I had one friend tell me that a few people actually do better by watching the arrow than with sites but it takes a bit longer to master that way....

when I use sights (or sites) I am random... sometimes I'm more dead on target than with no sites other times I'm way off the target... it depends on how I look at the sights and strain my eyes... without them I'm usually a few inches off here or there (at 65 feet) but consistent repeatedly.... at 30 feet or less I'm pretty accurate now without sites.....

so, what should I do? Try it stripped down and learn to compensate where I'm off or totally gear my bow up and hope I suddenly "get it" when that buck passes in front of me....