Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Great camo comparison... >

Great camo comparison...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Great camo comparison...

Old 08-09-2006, 11:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Great camo comparison...

Found this page while doing a search for something a while ago... I'm making no attempt to "push" one certain camo pattern here, but found it very interesting in light of the recent explosion of camo threads we've had on the forums of late...

http://www.whitetail.com/camo1.html

Maybe it'll help some understand what all the fuss is about.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:38 AM

Default RE: Great camo comparison...

Good stuff.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thats a pretty neat report, very informative.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good camo comparison, I'm not sure if it was a great camo comparison, definately pushing Predator Fall Grey which is well deserved. Once I receive my Enigma I promise the same comparison including a larger variety of camo manufacturers. Currently I will be able to include MOBU, RT X Brown, Predator Fall Brown, Predator Fall Grey, ASAT, military, a few off brands perhaps and the new Enigma.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's all right and clothes could have more lighter colors. Have tried to tape my brother wearing orange (tiger) and through the black and white viewer it was a difficult job even though I new I was looking right at him.

Most off the shots on that page were in the open. I'm not in the open when I hunt except for one place which is a cut over and currently has only one tall popular tree to be in. The sky line is everywhere in that situation lighter clothesare needed.

I'm not convinced deer don't see color either. I believe they see what their senses tell them is there. (been busted in blue jeans and for no other reason). That's why they are so good at picking people out. They already know they are there. I knew a guy was in the pic even before I saw it on that page and my eyes were drawn to him instantly. If it was real life and I was a deer I would just wait for him to move and be gone. Wouldn't matter what camo he was wearing. What is it a man picks out on deer? A white ear and tail or white antlers? Why is it it's a deers belly, which is hidden,that's white? Saw some pics the other day, must have been 12 different camo's, there was one that was amazing. I can't remember the name, but it was one I was unfamiliar with.

Looks like a great snow camo! Not putting it down just seems like some things create a cult like following and that always get under my skin. Not enough for some that they like something, they need everyone else to like it too.

What's stopping me from sewing some white cloth on my camo I already have? Or better yet just bleaching it in an appropriate pattern? If the deal is to help people to be more effective then I think suggestions like these would be part of the conversation, but it's not, it'syou need to buy this. Another sales pitch is the way it comes across.

Just being frank and mean absolutely no offense.I'm sure many will be very effective with this camo and am glad to see someone put their ideas into a product and sell it. We all would love to make a living off of the sport we love. Wish them well!
Old 08-10-2006, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

Good thread. Although the author really likes Predator Fall Gray.....which I happen to like and use too, I think the main point is that although camos such as MO, RT, and others do work in certain circumstances, the finer detail of small limbs and trees become one dark object. In the open and in brush distinguishing the human is much easier with these fashionable camos than when using open pattern camos such as Predator and ASAT. In fact I have been wanting to try the Outfitter camo by Cabelas...just haven't bought any yet.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:27 AM

That's a great post. I have offen wondered if there was a comparison out there on the different brands. After seeing the link it is hard to argue that the top name brands are very effective at all. I find it funny that the older style military camo is more effective than the top dollar"pro shop" stuff. Thanks for the post. The Proof is in the Puddin'!!
Old 08-10-2006, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think the main point is that although camos such as MO, RT, and others do work in certain circumstances, the finer detail of small limbs and trees become one dark object.
BINGO!!

Most off the shots on that page were in the open.
Which -- I believe -- shows an open-pattern camo's effectiveness EVEN MORE! Currently, the last poster on the Enigma thead complained that the new pics showing off the pattern were taken with the test model buried inside a bunch of limbs and treetops, and he made the comment that "any pattern would work there..." True enough. That's why Rob said they're going to take some new pics as soon as they get the chance.

It's when you get a pattern right out in the open, and it still obliterates the human outline that it shows its effectiveness. Then... when you do move into deeper cover, it's a no-brainer. Again -- the goal of a very good camo for the bowhunter, I believe, is to break up the outline -- not necessarily just blend in with the trees. If it can do both, great.

That's a great post. I have offen wondered if there was a comparison out there on the different brands. After seeing the link it is hard to argue that the top name brands are very effective at all. I find it funny that the older style military camo is more effective than the top dollar"pro shop" stuff. Thanks for the post. The Proof is in the Puddin'!!
Thanks, laird! That's exactly the reason for the post; if not for this forum, when I started bowhunting years ago I would have never known about how effective open-pattern camos were. I'm simply showing some newer members the same thing...

What's stopping me from sewing some white cloth on my camo I already have? Or better yet just bleaching it in an appropriate pattern? If the deal is to help people to be more effective then I think suggestions like these would be part of the conversation, but it's not, it'syou need to buy this. Another sales pitch is the way it comes across.
Nodog, I actually think that statement has quite a bit of merit to it (adding big whitish lightblotches to your existing clothing)... I actually like the bleach idea better so as to not have any additional fabric sticking out (in the case of sewing extra material on, perhaps), but I do know that bleaching that intensely to get a good lighter spot would also weaken the fabric considerably... maybe not right away, but over time it definitely will.

As far as the sales pitch, I can emphatically say I am not associated with any camo company at all... not Predator, ASAT or Enigma. As I mentioned above, my eyes were opened almost in a revelation years ago when I first discovered these open-pattern concepts; to Laird's point -- I'm just kinda passin' the knowledge on to others, and hopefully helping someone else become more confident in their hunting clothes like me.