Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 *** A Direct Comparison of CAMO !! (PICTURES)*** >

*** A Direct Comparison of CAMO !! (PICTURES)***

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

*** A Direct Comparison of CAMO !! (PICTURES)***

Old 09-24-2003, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default *** A Direct Comparison of CAMO !! (PICTURES)***

Ok, I' ve been meaning to do this for a few days now, because upon the recommendation of Rob and Ausie and a little research I plunked down the money for some new ASAT camo for this bowseason.

I have a closet full of Camo and was reluctant to buy anymore ,even though I value their opinions highly. So I wanted to see for myself what these look like compared directly under IDENTICAL conditions and through a " deer' s eyes" !
I got together 5 of my popular outfits and pinned the legs inside the jackets to appear as a person would. Then I hung each outfit in the exact same spot and (In the open I might ad) with enough varying background cover to make it fair to each style of Camo. (The majority cover is Green with some browns and grays in the trees limbs and some leaves with a mix of open areas and darker thick areas to attempt to be fair to all patterns.)

I know this isn' t " super scientific" , but it will give everyone a pretty good idea what they might look like to a deer. I took these pictures at 17 yards.........an average Bowshot. These pics should give a pretty good example of what a hunter would look like in an open stand with some canopy cover behind.

(Cross your fingers, I hope this works AOL is finicky, and the pics are large.....the pics are worth it so please be patient!)

#1 Mossy Oak " Break Up"
You can see a definite outline, and form to this camo. Not bad, not good either.

#2 Natgear
Poor Natgear, I think it' s a bit out of it' s element in brush/greens/and trees. Probably more suited to late season hunting but they tout it as " All Season" so I compared it.

#3 Skyline " Excel"
This one I knew was going to do well.......Always liked it. An underrated camo pattern that obviously did better than the previous 2

#4[b] Realtree Hardwoods HD " High Definition"
YUCK.......Might work in certain situations where you are positioned exactly against a Tree trunk or with cover in FRONT of it, but it didn' t do well in the out in the open test!

#5 ASAT " All Season All Terrain"
Ok I saved the best for last.........it appears that Rob and Ausie weren' t just blowing smoke. When I clicked this picture over to Black and White my jaw dropped. You can see the results for yourself........remember this picture is WIDE OPEN not a leaf between me and the camo. And remember ASAT is Tan/Brown/Black.....NOT GREEN!! Wow.

There you have it, my first attempt at a direct comparison.
I tried to be as impartial as I could without taking 800 pictures! Remember How can I have a bias....I bought all this stuff!!
Sure some camo will do better in certain situations like the Natgear which would probably do better in an open /lighter setting, but the conditions I just photographed these under is typical of MOST Midwestern/Southern/Eastern Whitetail conditions.
The Skyline did VERY well , the popular " Photo Realistic" patterns like Realtree HD did not.........and its clear that I made a terrific choice in the ASAT camo, the stuff looks amazing!

Thanks again Rob/PA and " Ausie Guy" for reminding me about ASAT it' s a terrific camo pattern.[8D]

Old 09-24-2003, 06:20 PM

Default RE: *** A Direct Comparison of CAMO !! (PICTURES)***

what camo was in the last pic .blended in real good to me.

go deep hunt hard.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:40 PM

Not a bad comparison Matt. ASAT does look like a very good choice. I wish you had some Advantage Timber to compare with. I might have to invest in some ASAT next season.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

cyberbuck,
I do have some Advantage Timber, but only a Jacket and hat, so I left it out......I wanted keep the comparisons as close as possible. If I had to guess based upon tones I would probably say Advantage Timber would do about the same as my Mossy Oak Break-Up.
If I come across a pair of pants I' ll add that pic for sure.

Bobcat....the name is directly above the picture. The one you are referring to is ASAT " All Season All Terrain"
Old 09-24-2003, 06:55 PM

Good job Matt - some nice work - thanks

I was and still am not picky at all about my camo. Can you miss match a few pairs and switch the tops with the bottoms so I can see how I would look

How about hanging them 16 ft in the air next to a tree so we can get a look
Old 09-24-2003, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

How about hanging them 16 ft in the air next to a tree so we can get a look
Rack,
Patience..........
Old 09-24-2003, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ahhh Grasshopper....

Many, many moons ago, when the world was young, and before I got so anal about bows & arrows. I was totally anal about camo. I did the exact same tests , took the pics, and preached the word wherever I went converting all I could.

There is no doubt that most effective camo patterns on big game are open high contrast patterns like Predator (my personal fave), ASAT, Sticks N Limbs, Skyline (in it' s various forms), etc.

As I told Ausie, there' s only one reason I wear " designer camo" like RT, MO & Advantage these days. Antis. Where I hunt is legal and public land, but surrounded by houses. Full of Antis who come down to welcome me any time they spot me. When I first moved here , I was wearing my fave Predator patterns that season, and the light colors drew them to me like flies.

That' s not to say designer camo cannot be effective, especially on game like Turkeys that have color-vision. Until you' ve worn the open stuff for a season and experienced more game sightings, the magic of the vast majority of deer looking absolutely through you when catch you moving, then the flick their tail as they go back to whatever they were doing as you complete your draw and zip one through them, you just cannot belive the significant positive difference that these open camos make in the hunting experience.

I' ve managed to find a new piece of property that is more rural, and you can bet your sweet patootie that I' ll be wearing Predator or ASAT next year.

Old 09-24-2003, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Matt.
Great job buddy and thanks for the compliment.
Do you really think I would tell people about something that did not work for me
I am not scared to voice my opinion and if I think something is junk I will say so.

Remember guys to be truely hidden in the woods you need

ASAT
Old 09-24-2003, 07:20 PM

Skyline excel looks the best on my monitor........can' t even see it.

The ASAT looks good too
Old 09-24-2003, 07:24 PM

Thanks a lot Matt, i do beleive my next camo purchase will be the ASAT 3-D suit!

Quick Reply: *** A Direct Comparison of CAMO !! (PICTURES)***

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.