Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My shortest hunt was... >

My shortest hunt was...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My shortest hunt was...

Old 08-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My shortest hunt was...

My first deer. It was back in '01, the first year for the 3-day PA youth hunt. That Friday I waited for my dad to get home from work so he could take me out back. I stood in the basement, ready to go,waiting for him for an hour past when he normally would get home. I was so sad that he got held up at work and couldn't make it. Finally he got home around 6 and we scrambled out to our stands....hoping to salvage a little bit of the night.

I figured it was a lost cause, but I wasn't going down with out a fight. 10 min after climbing into my stand I heard the crunch-crunch......crunch-crunch of a deer. All of the sudden I spotted brown making its way toward me. One deer, two deer......another, another, there ended up being six of them. The lead one came into 15 yds and stopped in an opening. I was so nervous I began squeezing the grip of my rifle instead of the trigger. I did this for about 30 seconds before I finally put enough of a death grip on the gun to make it fire. Deer exploded everywhere....I couldn't tell which one I'd shot. I saw one I thought was it, butI wasn't sure. I thought about shooting again, but my better judgement told me not to. Then all of the sudden I caught sight of a deer standing about 50 yds away. As soon as my eyes focused on her, I saw her back legs sway....she crumpled to the ground and didn't move. The next thing I remember is turning to my dad and running my finger across my neck, motioning she was dead...all the while jumping up and down in my treestand as my knees nearly gave out.

That was my first deer.....I had only been in the woods for 15 min that day.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:36 PM

2 years ago opening day archery season which started Sept. 15th. Walked in the woods at noon, had about a 25 minutes hike to get to primary stand, made it about 100 yards into the woods off the dirt road and saw a large dear run past me at about 35 yards.

I quickly blasted a fawn in distress call and out of the corner of my left eye i saw movement. I slowly turned and looked, peaking his head around a large tree was an 8 pt. buck, waited until he dropped his head and I drew. Buck stepped out onto the trail at about 15 yards and I nailed him.

So basically it took me all of maybe 15 mins into the start of the 04 bow season to tag my buck.

Dave
Old 08-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

Well this was not a quick hunt but it was a convenient one. We had hunted all morning and were heading back to the truck. We're stepping out of the woods and into the corn field we parked in when a heard of deer just show up in the same field. We managed to get one and didn't get anymore when they all took off running. Didn't even bother to drag it. Just drove the truck over to the deer. It was all of 100 yards.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Well my first took place Id say back in 1986. I arrived at my stand about 10 minutes before shooting light. I just got settled in and along came a doe and I shot her. Id been in the stand maybe 11 minutes. Had the same thing happen the next yearand I killed that doe. These were both in Bow season. This year during turkey season I was heading back out to my truck. I was hunting Missouri. I noticed a couple toms feeding in front of me about 60 yards away. So I decided to head back to the blind and give it a few more calls. I was in the blind for about a minute, gave a few yelps and bam there was a turkey full strut at me decoy not 10 yards away. Well hes in the freezer right now. On my way out of the woods I saw the other toms feeding away. I have no idea where this turkey came from that I shot...
Old 08-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I was 14 on the opening morning of Elk in Wyoming. We got to our spot in the truck before it was light. We waited until it was almost light and walked another 200 or 300 yards and climbed over a small hill and there were elk all over the place in a large saddle. I could hear bulls all over the place and finally one stepped out of the trees 300 yards up the hill. My dad said hold right behind the leg and in the center of him. When he stepped into the next clearing I shot and all I seen was the elk hit the ground in his tracks, and my dad was soo excited. I used his ruger #1 270 that day.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

My shortest hunt was 7 minutes flat. My dad and I went on a pheasant hunt about 6 years ago. Our black GSP was about 1 year old at the time and we wanted to see how he could handle pheasants. At the time my white/liver GSP was about 6 and in his prime. We had just let the dogs out and the older GSP was on point immediately in a tree line. 1 bird down. While the pup was retrieving the first bird, the older GSP was already on point again. The pup eagerly retrieved that bird as well. Two more quick points and we were done. Had our 4 pheasant limit in 7 minutes andduring the short walk back to the truck through the field we had 2 more points and let to let those birds go! My older GSP was literally on point before the birds we shot even hit the ground. I was thinking to myself that this could very well be the hunt where my dog points another bird with one already in his mouth....but no such luck. I can only imagine how easy the pup thought pheasant hunting was! haha. That was by far one of the most impressive hunt I've ever been on. We didn't get the bird work that we wanted for the pup so ran down south to a preserve and put young'n on some chukar and pheasants.....we kept the older one in the house to prevent thisfrom happening again! The pup did just as we expected....very good!

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot I was in the bowhunting forum! haha
Old 08-08-2006, 09:51 PM

told my buddy i was going huntin. left at 6:00 pm walked 20 yards from his house. there were two doe 20 yrds from me. pulled up and dropped the first doe. all within 5 minutes... dressed and dragged back up by 6:30
Old 08-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

We had a moose hunt 3 yrs ago that lasted a whole 45minute's and we took a 3 1/2 yr old bull and a bear .I was home before my holiday's had even begun.

nubo
Old 08-08-2006, 10:29 PM
Typical Buck

I never really had a short hunt. However, I had a good chance at one. My first year hunting about 10 years ago, I saw a real nice doe about 5 minutes after first shooting light. It just sat there all nice and broadside for about 30 minutes. I decided to pass on it since it was my first day, first morning, first hunt. Well, after that pass I did not see a deer the rest of the season while hunting. I didnt see a deer the whole next year during a hunt. So I went from the shortest hunt to the longest droughtI ever had.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:53 PM

Had 2 pretty short ones, both several years ago.

Absolute shortest was the first day of our winter muzzleloader season. We got to our property later in the morning, maybe around 10am. I loaded my Hawkin, got my gear, put on the snowshoes and started for the back of our lot. I was maybe 50 yards from the cabin when a doe walked out infront of me. (maybe 3 minutes from leaving the porch)

Next best was opening day of rifle season. Sitting in my stand since about1/2 hour before first light and an hour before the legal start at 7:30am (approximately). Had a few deer moving thru just after it started to lighten. Saw a decent buck in the brush near me. While I was tracking him with the binocs, I was keeping an eye on my time since there were some Game Wardens in the area. (God knows if they heard any shots before the "official" start they would be around) As soon as the clock hit "time" I had my shot off and he was down. (set the alarm on my watch to make 1 beep at opening time, when it went beepI picked up andshot)

Quick Reply: My shortest hunt was...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.