Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My shortest hunt was... >

My shortest hunt was...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My shortest hunt was...

Old 08-08-2006, 11:59 PM

Default RE: My shortest hunt was...

Never even left the cabin! When I was in high school me and some buddies were staying in a hunting cabin on one guys property. His grandfather had told us to take as many does as we could as he was being overrun with them. Well we didn't go to sleep that night until about an hour before daylight so I kind of "wussed" out and stayed in bed. I woke up around 9:30 and looked out the window. I told my buddy there were 4 doe outside the cabin to which he replied "yeah, right". 3 shots and 3 doe later I think he believed me.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went moose hunting in Newfoundland last October. I was really anticipating this hunt. I practiced and prepared my gear several months in advance. I walked and got in shape. I was ready.

I went with two buddies. We made the 36 hour trek with no problems. We arrived 3 days earlier than our hunt was scheduled. The outfitter told us that they would fly us into camp early as long as the group in camp had tagged out. Well they did. So we were flown in two days early.

We were flown in at about 10:00 am on wednesday October 5th. We introduced ourselves and talked to the guides. We ask questions and answered some of their's. I was stoked. The guides ( 3 of them for 1x1 hunt) informed us we'd be going out hunting after lunch.

I was paired up with one of the guides. We had the other guide take us across the lake, by boat, and drop us off on the other side. We got out and I loaded my rifle, except no rounds in the chamber, guide's rule for safety reasons.
We made our way through some bogs and through the thick brush.( black spruce) We walked a few hundred yards total. We made our way to a small rise, a lookout location, to do some calling. I noticed the guide getting ready to squat down by a large boulder. I ask if he was going to call and he responded with a yes. Then suddenly he started yalling and pointing " Right there, Chuck. That's a good bull, good bull"

I looked to where he was pointing and saw a bull moose with two cows running out of the spruce into the open. The guide started calling to them with his mouth to get them to stop. I quickly sat down and chambered a round. I was still out of breath from thedifficult walk. As I looked through the scope, still on 4x, the crosshairs were bouncing all over the place from my heart beat. I also still had my backpack on my back and the straps on my shoulder made the rifle not feel right.I knew the moose was out at about 200yds. and it wasn't going to stand there very long. I took a deep breath and held as steady as I could. As I just about finished taking up all the slack in the trigger, the bull started to angle away, starting to go.I fired and the bull dropped.

The guide cameover and started slapping me on the back and said "Congratulations! You just shot a Newfoundland moose" He insisted I had a horseshoe up my a$$, because it doesn't happen like that in their camp. He also said that this was the second largest moose taken from this camp that year.

I couldn't believe it. I just got here. I was only 20 minutes into this long awaited hunt and I was done. All that money, all that preparation and I was done in 20 minutes.

The moose was later confirmed to be 232 yds out by my range finder.

My buddies also tagged out a few days later but with much smaller moose.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

November '94, I was 12 and finally legal to hunt without direct supervision... Left the house about 5 minutes before shooting light to walk a pasture we call the horse trap... I didn't make it75 yds from the house and deer went everywhere. I must have spooked 'em making my way through the stock pens to get to the pasture... I snuck over to a live oak tree to have a solid rest. I saw one with hornsdown in the drawa little over 100yds away. An 8 pt just wider than his ears and fairly tall, with a browtine that turned down. Took me all of 5 seconds to decide to let that .308 roar, and down he went. I was close enough the shot woke my parents up. No more than 10 minutes from walking out the door. Biggest deer I shot until 2004...
Old 08-09-2006, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

My second year bowhunting in 1993. My buddy and I headed out to our lease on a brutally cold November morning. We actually sat in the truck with the heater on until first light debating whether to go or not. We agreed that we would hunt until we "froze out" and head back to the truck. I walked about 150 yds to my ladder stand, climbed up, hung up my bow, and looked behind me. I had a doe walking right at me fast. I grabbed my bow, turned and shot her at 5 yds. She ran in the direction of the truck and fell stone dead while still in sight. I got down, field dressed her, and loaded her in the truck. The actual hunt lasted less than 15 minutes. My buddy got back to the truck after lasting close to two hrs. He found me napping in a warm cab and started to give me a hard time about outlasting me. That's when I told him to look in the bed of the truck!
Old 08-09-2006, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last year, had a turkey gobbling on the roost when I went to my friends farm for the first time. I snuckinto the woods, put out the dekes, settled in and made a few tree calls. About 20 min later, its fly down time. Off to my right, I see a turkey hit the ground, I clucked a few times, and my boy strutted in from the left, straight to the dekes. After a 2 hour drive to get there, the hunt lasted about 25 minutes.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

when i forgot my quiver at home last year and didn't realize it until I was halfway to may stand.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:32 AM

I had never had any quick hunts until this past year. I used to wish it would happen to me once... and now it's happened twice.
Last year during bow season I made a mile hike into a valley on public ground. I picked out a tree and started climbing. I made it about ten feet off the ground when I saw a group of 10 does and little ones coming. I quickly pulled up my bow, put on my release, and knocked an arrow. By the time I did this they were about twenty yards away looking at me. I picked out a big doe and drilled her perfectly and she ran about 40 yards. That hunt lasted about 1 minute of climbing.
The other was this past springduring turkey season. Me and my buddy called in 5 toms w/in 10 minutes of setting up at first light. We were walking out of the field after shooting a double within 15 mins. of getting there.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:59 AM

Two years ago I shot a fork on my lunch break 10 minutes after leaving the office. Drove up the mountain, got out of the truck, looked over the edge, capped the lock and pulled the trigger. Of course he ran down the mountain after that and it took me 3 hours to get him boned out and packed back up to the truck again. I got a call on my cell from our Seattle office while I was boning him out asking me to run some computer diagnostics I laughed and told him it would be a bit difficult with my hands up to my elbows in deer. The reply; "You damn Alaskans!"

Old 08-09-2006, 12:02 PM

my shortest hunt was last years muzzleloader season. i walked in the woods at about 7o'clock and kicked up a 2 1/2 year old doe and dropped her in her tracks. btw nice thread michigan archer
Old 08-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

Walked to my stand maybe 6-7 minutes, pulled up my bow, pulled out my face paint put a black line under each eye, and here comes 2 does, Pick up the bow and stick the bigger one. I wasn't in my stand 2 minutes.

Shot a small buck Thanksgiving morning one year. I was at the table drinking coffee when my father in law comes in the kitchen before church. He says " I thought you were going out this morning" I says "I'm done, bucks in the truck, I'll be ready for church ina few." I was out bout 1/2 hour on that one.

Put a big gobbler to bed one night, was done real early the next morning with a 26 pound 11 in beard gobbler. I just sat on top of a hill and watched the sunrise that morning. Priceless.

Quick Reply: My shortest hunt was...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.