Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sight on bow?

Old 08-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sight on bow?

I just got the new Vipertec in the mail and I went to sight it in and I have run out of verticle adjustment. At 40 yards I have to hold the top of the level buble and it is right on. Is there any way to move the nock point or rest to gain some adjustment. The bottom of the sight is getting close to the arrow so I don't think I can move the sight down if there was room for it..

This is the first time I have run into this problem. The bow is tuned perfect and shoots straight all the way out to 40 yards but I need more room on the sight.

Any tips?
Old 08-04-2006, 07:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Sight on bow?

If the bow is tuned then you don't want to move the rest nor the nock point. The problem is going to be in your peep location and or anchor point. Did the bow come completely setup for a different individual?
Old 08-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not have a peep on the bow but I think I am going to add one. I am used to shooting with a peep and that could be my problem I guess.

Yes the bow was from another user but the draw length is the same as mine.

The bow came with the string loop and rest and I added my sight.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:03 PM

The answer is obvious, but often overlooked. You're shooting a bow that was set up for someone else, not you. You need to have the kisser button, and any other accessories set up for you. Then you need to tune the bow. The guy shooting it before you had a different style. Tune the bow for you, set it up for you, and I can all but guarantee you those sights fall down where they should be. If that doesn't work, there's another problem, and the likely candidate is in the sight installation itself.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

By shorting your anchor points between the nock and peep/kisser will give you a lower line of sight which will give you some room. I am not familier with your new sight but on my HHA 5500 single pin adjustable. Imounted the sight so my back part slide is only like .25" up the slide at 20yrds which if I go out to full distance(moveing slide up making pin come down) at max I am dead on at 92yrds Just a suggestion I never really had this problem since I keep my nocking point and peep sight close together and natrually have a little higher drawing anchor. Some will this might be bad form and I will not argue but it works for me.

Trytan
Old 08-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not have a kisser button on it either. I never really liked them. I know I was able to keep the same anchor point because my groups were very close. Two arrows were touching most of the time I was shooting except at 40 yards where I did not have a pin to go by.

I will try and shoot with different anchor points to see what the difference is and where I need to put the peep in at. To get more height on the arrow I would need a lower anchor point and higher peep alignment - right?
Old 08-04-2006, 08:54 PM

Paper tune the bow first.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

do kisser buttons help improve accuracy?

Old 08-04-2006, 09:09 PM

Yes, because they are another reference point to a more consistent anchor. I recommend new shooters use both a kisser and a peep until they become consistent in their form, then if they want to, take the kisser off. Most don't, but some do. I've been shooting 15 years and just took mine off a couple months ago. My groups suffered slightly until I grew used to it. All is good now though.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got the peep installed and added a half inch to the draw length since I had to change my anchor point and all is good now. I was shooting out to 60 yards today and I moved my sight about in the center of the adjusment slide.