Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Summit Climbers: Viper vs. Razor >

Summit Climbers: Viper vs. Razor

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Summit Viper
65.22%
Summit Razor
34.78%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Summit Climbers: Viper vs. Razor

Old 08-03-2006, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Summit Climbers: Viper vs. Razor

So here is my problem...I can't decide whether I want the Razor or the Viper. I've decided I want a climber for this season and I've narrowed it down to these two....but I can't decide. I like the simplicity of the Viper (no moving front bar), but I like how you can put the front bar behind you for an open front when shooting with the Razor. I don't know if I prefer to stand or sit when I shoot my bow from a treestand...I've done it both ways. The Razor would offer me to shoot more angles while sitting (I will be able to shoot infront of me) where the Viper wouldn't.

So I guess the biggest sway point is whether or not the front bar hampers shot oppertunities. I don't know if I want to take the simplicity of the Viper, but possibly prevent some shot oppertunities if a deer comes in fast and I can't stand up, or if I want to allow myself the ability to take those shots, but use a stand with more moving parts that could get in the way.

What do you guys think? Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-03-2006, 07:48 PM

Default RE: Summit Climbers: Viper vs. Razor

I had that decision to make last fall. I went w/ the Viper. A lot of guys like the Razor because you can fold the bar up out of the way, and they think that the front rail on the Viper interferes w/ bowhunting. It doesn't, not in the least. I looked them over and just decided that the folding bar was the weak point of the stand. If that thing doesn't get latched right, or bends, or what have you, it ain't gonna be good. The flip side of that coin? I've never heard of it happening.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

I am in the market for a new climber. I have never used a Razor but have used the viper and it was great. I am interested in seeing the results of this post.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Neither, Loggy Legend. PM me and I'll help you design it perfect for bow hunting.

I can say I just made it to my 7 th Bass Pro Shop today and the one thing I had to check out was stands since the crowd says summits are it. None of the even compare.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

I had that decision to make last fall. I went w/ the Viper. A lot of guys like the Razor because you can fold the bar up out of the way, and they think that the front rail on the Viper interferes w/ bowhunting. It doesn't, not in the least. I looked them over and just decided that the folding bar was the weak point of the stand. If that thing doesn't get latched right, or bends, or what have you, it ain't gonna be good. The flip side of that coin? I've never heard of it happening.
Thats what I'm wondering..whether the weak point of the Razor will truly be a weak point at all. Since you looked at both stands last year maybe you can help me answer this question....when moving the bar from infront to behind...is it diffeicult because your lower legs and feet are in the way, making the stepping over slightly precarious? Does the movement make any noise?

Nobody has this stand in stock so I can't look at them myself...I would have to have my proshop order me one if I wanted it....thats why I'm trying to get some insight from the guys who have had the oppertunity to look at them.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally have the Viper. mobow is correct, the bar hasn't affected my shoting at all. I've killed 3 deer while sitting out of that stand. I can't speak about the Razor but you won't be disappointed with the viper. Good luck.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:14 AM

I too have the Viper. I personally like the bar in front of me at all times. It has never interfered with any of my shots.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:22 AM

I've got a pair of vipers.
This is what I do. During bow season, I raise the seat as high and tight as I can make it. That makes the bar, relative to you, lower and less in the way. If I am shooting straight ahead or to the left, I can do it sitting. If I have to shoot to the right, then I have to stand. That is just me.
When it comes gun season, I lower the seat as low as it will go. This effectively raises the bar to the point it becomes a decent rest.
I also have some of the burlap cloth with a camo pattern painted on it. It is attached to the bar at the top and kept rolled up when climbing up and down. Once set up, I unroll it so it hangs like a curtain around the stand. It totally breaks up my outline and allows for small movement of feet and body shifting if needed.
Great climbers, I know there are other good ones out there, but i won't be changing any time soon.

Hank
Old 08-04-2006, 10:54 AM

I own both, I have to say from experience my pick would be Razor. I like the open front, and thereare no weak points on thefront bar. I have used it many, many times without a hint of problem. Hope this helps
Old 08-04-2006, 03:06 PM

PA BOW/FLINTER; once the bar is folded back, it's completely out of the way. If memory serves me, it folds up under the seat. Yes, it makes some noise where the sides latch at the hinge. Nothing terrible, but metal latching always makes some noise. It would be a good stand, I believe, but given the 2, I'll take the Viper everytime. The last thing I want to be doing while in a tree is messing w/ that bar, getting it out of the way. With the Viper, climb and hunt. IF you can stay awake.

Quick Reply: Summit Climbers: Viper vs. Razor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.