Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Expandable broadheads fly like practice tip??? >

Expandable broadheads fly like practice tip???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Expandable broadheads fly like practice tip???

Old 08-03-2006, 10:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Expandable broadheads fly like practice tip???

like the others said if your bow is tuned they should shoot the same. whatI learned from using them is if you hit bone your done, if you dont it is deadly, andleaves a real nice blood trail too. to meI didnt like the penetration from them,I perfer the muzzy 3 blade 100 grain fixed head, but they also can lose penetration espeacially if u hit that shoulder. get your bow tuned,and practice!you shouldnt have any problems.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

I shot Shockwaves a couple of years ago and had no problems with them. They hit exactly with my fp's and they open up no matter what. I tried everything to keep the blades closed on one for practice and they opened up regardless. I didn't try super glue, but I'm sure that won't work for more than one shot. I tried heavy guage wire wrapped around the blades and that worked for maybe 2 shots and then it would get ripped off.

I never did get to stick a deer with these. I have now switched back to fixed blades for my own peace of mind, but I still carry a Shockwave in my quiver for small game or coyotes. Also, at 68# / 31" draw, you won't have any trouble getting passthrus.

Good luck ... Shockwave (Gee, where did that name come from )
Old 08-04-2006, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

Many people, including myself, have used Spitfires with great success. Excellent mechanical. I typically don't aim for bone but I did have a Spitfire slice a rib clean in two. Of course, maybe I'm just not aiming for the right bone. If you are looking for a great mechanical, the Spitfires have a great track record. And they don't have a rubber band or you don't have to attach them to your cable or they don't have to perform some trick to close and open. They just kill deer. I would recommend not going to mechanicals just because you can't get a fixed head to fly with your field tips. Try some other fixed blades to see if more tuning is needed. Nitrons and Montec G5's have shown to fly with field tips if your bow is tuned. They both have 1-1/16" cutting diameter. Get into larger cutting diameters and 4 blades and, in my experience, you may find fixed not flying as consistant. I have had Muzzy 3 blades fly true but I'd get drifters with the 4 blade. Thunderhead 3 blades have flown well also. The main thing is get your bow tuned whatever blade you are using. Then you can use whatever blade you like.

Old 08-04-2006, 07:26 AM

i was goin to use the shockwaves last year but i ended up using magnus stingers instead, i did practice with one though and it would hit right with my fp with no other tuning, i do now that they prolly wont last through heavy bone, the blade will sheer off, i wouldn't worry bout them not openin, i shot spitfires two years ago, i use an 85 grain spitfire on easton a/c/c, finished wieght of around 360 grain. out of a 55 pound bow at 29in draw, and they performed flawlessly to take my first deer. you could see where all three blades had opend on the entery wound, it is a personal choice for u if u want to shoot them shoot them if u think u would feel better shooting fixed blade broadhead go that route it is all a matter of choice, i have used both succecfully and would go either way when choicein,

good luck
Old 08-04-2006, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Archery is largely "trail and error" , sounds like your trying to skip the trial , and will end up with error . In other words you must try it for yourself as we all shoot diferantly , and our equipment is vastly diferant , even the same bow models vary .
Make sure your arrows are spined correctly and are flying straight no matter what type of head you shoot with . Hitting the same spot with your field points is a plus , a desirable setup but not posable with ALL setups , especialy if you are mismatched in any way with equipment or form .