Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Expandable broadheads

Old 05-06-2007, 08:59 AM

Default Expandable broadheads

I just bought some new broadheads at the suggestion of a friend. They are the Wasp Jak-Hammer SST 100 gr. Anyone else use these? I haven't shot them yet but have heard good things. I currently use Muzzy 3 blade 100 gr. and love them. Just wanted some other opinions.

Thanks

Old 05-06-2007, 11:02 AM

Default RE: Expandable broadheads

Although its hard to beat the good old Muzzy three blade 100 gr. (the Remington 870 of broadheads, IMO); you willprobably like the WASP Jackhammers. They shoot just like field points. Stock up on replacement O rings. I have never used them on game, but several folks I know say they work pretty well on deer.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

You should like them especially if you're friend has lot of good results with 'em. Honestly though, you have purchased a real middle of the road mech, there are MANY that are better in both penetration and blade deployment so please don't pass judgement on ALL mechs based on your experience with the Jack-Hammers? Good luck and good shootin'
Old 05-06-2007, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the input. What are some of the better expandables to try? To tell the truth, I was never excited about the o-rings and having to mess with them.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:02 PM

Out here, the Rage and the RM Snypers are both pretty popular. In the fixed heads, the G5 Montec, the Muzzy, and the Slicktrick all have great reputations.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

They should serve you just fine. I wasn't wild about the O-rings myself so i switched over to NAP Spitfire 100gr and i'm very pleased with them.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:17 PM

WITH A MODERN COMPOUND BOW, MECHANICAL BROADHEADS ARE SUPERIOR TO FIXED BLADE BROADHEAD. FIRST OVIOUS ADVANTAGE IS ACCURACY. SECONDLY, THE MECHANICALS HAVE TREMENDOUS CUTTING DIAMETERS. YOU COULDN'T SHOOT A FIXED BLADE BROADHEAD WITHMATCHING DIAMETERS. THIRD ADVANTAGE IS SAFETY. MECHSBLADES ARE NOT EXPOSED TO YOU LIKE FIXED. I ACTUALLY CUT A STRING WITH A FIXED WHEN I WAS YOUNGER. THE BIGGEST PUBLICIZED "ADVANTAGE" FIXED HAVE ISPENETRATION. THERE AGAIN MODERN BOWS ELIMINATED THIS AS A FACTOR. ITS CALLED EXCESSIVE KINETIC ENERGY. I HAVE KILLED 70 OR 80 DEER WITH MECHS. 98% WERE COMPLETE PASS THRU. I HAVE BROKEN JUST ABOUT EVERY BONE ON A DEER YOU CAN THINK OF.THE GREATEST DISPLAY ON PENETRATION I HAD WAS APESKY DOE WHO WOULDN'T STICK HER BODY IN HARMS WAY. THE SHOT WAS A 18 YDS. I PUT IT IN HER EAR AND IT PASSED THROUGH HER CHEEK. ARROW WAS BURIED 10 YARDSBEYOND TARGET.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:44 PM

I PUT IT IN HER EAR AND IT PASSED THROUGH HER CHEEK. ARROW WAS BURIED 10 YARDS BEYOND TARGET.
Not exactly something to be proud of... [:'(]
Old 05-27-2007, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: indianahunter83

I PUT IT IN HER EAR AND IT PASSED THROUGH HER CHEEK. ARROW WAS BURIED 10 YARDS BEYOND TARGET.
Not exactly something to be proud of... [:'(]
My thoughts exactly! [:@]
Old 05-27-2007, 07:29 AM

EXCUSE ME, I MEANT THE OPPOSITE CHEEK. THE ARROW PASSED THROUGH HER BRAIN. THIS WAS THE CLEANEST KILL POSSIBLE. AS A HUNTER, IT IS YOUR DUTY TO MAKE THE CLEANEST KILL POSSIBLE. SHE DROPPED IN HER TRACKS. I WILL NOT SHY AWAY FROM MY STATEMENT. I HAVE SAT DOWN TO DINNER WITH SEVERAL OF YOUR " HUNTING HEROS" AND THEY ALL CONSIDERED THIS AN ETHICAL SHOT.THIS SHOT IS NO DIFFERENT THAN A GUN HUNTER BREAKING DOWN A DEER. WITH ONLY ONE EXCEPTION,IT IS EITHER A CLEAN KILL OR A CLEAN MISS. IF YOU DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH THE SHOT DON'T TAKE IT. I DIDN'T FEEL LIKE CREATING A CONTROVERSY THIS MORNING BUT OPINIONS VARY.

Quick Reply: Expandable broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.