Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer Cam (opinions wanted) >

Deer Cam (opinions wanted)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Cam (opinions wanted)

Old 07-31-2006, 08:26 AM

Default Deer Cam (opinions wanted)

I am about to buy my first deer cam...geez these thinks are pricey and there are suddenly a lot of them to chose from.
Most have the same bells/whistles (90 foot sensor, 30 foot flash range, expandable memory). The big differences seems to be:
MP ..I would assume that 2 MP is just fine for these purposes.
Silent Flash.. don't know ifis this important ?
LCD Screen ...viewing pics on the camera in the field seems ideal as opposed to taking the SD disk back home each time.
Color Is a camo color less likely to get stolen than dark green or do I need to buy some locking cables anyway?

I am leaning to the StealthCam STC WD2x, a 2 MP cam with a built in LCD. It lists for @219 at Cabelas.

Any thoughts on this cam or what to look for when spending this kind of money are appreciated.......
Old 07-31-2006, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Cam (opinions wanted)

remember, you can buy 2 sd cards and then just swap them out. cheaper then buying the wd2x. i bought the wd2.

DO NOT forget about battery life. to me it's actually the most important thing about a cam. this is my 6th year using trail cameras, believe me the cost of batteries can REALLY add up. some units will last a week, maybe two while others will last 3-4 months. calculate that over 3-4 years and you'll see the difference. plus, sometimes in the winter i don't make it out to the camera for a couple months. you'd lose most of your pics if the batteries die after 2 weeks.

trigger speed is #2 in my book.you'll miss some of the best pics if you have a cam with a slow trigger speed. i actually have a pic of an owl swooping down at a mouse. some cams have 5 second trigger speed.i would have never seen that pic with a slow cam.

personally, i'd get the plain wd2 and buy an extra sd card with the left over money. you'll always want 2 anyway.

oh, another thing to remember - the new cuddeback's are a waste of money [:@]

to me, the wd2 isa good combination of decent pics, decent trigger time, decent battery life, and cheap price. if it gets stolen I won't be out the 400 bucks that other cams cost. however, to be honest, i'm a little disapointed with the pics. not as clear as a 2mp cam should be.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

get the wd2, look on bossbuck.com... better prices. OR I think the cudde3.0 ('05 model) is the best camera out there.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

well the moultries get excellent battery life and any camera is going to have a slower trigger speed in this heat we are having