Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Opinions wanted! >

Opinions wanted!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Opinions wanted!

Old 03-09-2006, 08:47 PM

Default Opinions wanted!

Hello,

I'm planning on building a new hunting rifle from an old militaryMauser reciever and I'm looking for some ideas onwhich caliberto choose. I'mhoping to build a rifle that will prove verylethal at close to moderate ranges with a lot of knock-down powerforuseonbig game.Since it won't be used at very long ranges I probably won't scope the particular rifle and as long as it isfairly accurateto moderate distances it should be fine.

I was thinking of using theclassic .45-70. Although it might notbe that accurateit should be more then acceptable forshooting atclose and moderateranges (max 200 yards?)andsince it is abig, heavy bulletit would definently get the desired effect. I'm just curious as to what some other good choices would be for this particular useand what others think about some suitable choices.

Thanks for any input!
Old 03-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Opinions wanted!

My first sugestion would be to go ahead and install a low power variable or a straight 4 power scope on this rifle. I honestly don't know of any modern cartridges that are only good to 200 yards. A low power scope would make the most of your new rifle, even something like a big ole 45-70.

Since this gun will be a bolt action rifle I would go with the 450 Marlin over the 45-70. The 450 is a belted case and will readily feed through a bolt rifle with a straight magazine where as the 45-70 is a rimmed cartridge and will require a curved (banana style) magazine in order to keep the rim of the top cartridge in front of the rim of the next cartridge below it when the rifle recoils.

I recently sighted in a Ruger M77 in 450 Marlin and it shot right at 1 inch at 100 yards punching out the center "X" on the target. Incredible accuracy from such a big bullet.

I assume you are thinking about an 8mm-06 as well from your other thread? Personally I would opt for the .338-06 instead due to the much more abundant .338 bullets available for reloading and in a pinch Weatherby loads ammo for this cartridge as well.

Since you seem to like bigger bullets you may want to consider the .376 Steyr. This would be a fantastic round to hunt anything in North America at medium ranges. Hornady has two factory loadings and if reloaded can reach about 2600 fps with a 260 grain bullet. This is one cartridge near the top of my wish list.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know which Mauser you are looking to convert. Not all Mausers can be chambered to 45-70. The Siamese Mauser it often used for this. You might consider the 35 Whelen. Roskoe might have some good ideas for you.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

You should check out the Mauser site - they have mauser on the brain! LOL

But me personally, really no need for bigger than .30-06 in N.America.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:08 PM

Well I actually was considering several options for my sporter rifle. I plan to build one Mauser in either .338-06 (maybe .338 Magnum if I decide to open up the bolt face, etc), or 35 Whelen. I also wantto learn more about the 450 Marlin and .376 Steyr.

When I was considering a .45-70 I was actually thinking of experimenting with a Mosin Nagant as it is designed to fire the 7.62x54Rwhich is a rimmed cartridge. This seems like it might be kind of tough to do though so I may abandon the idea in favor of a Mauser in one of the calibers above.

I'd also like to buy a cheap military Mauser in original configuration (Turk M38, VZ-24,K-98, etc, etc)and simply reamingout the barrel for 30-06 so I could fire 8mm-06 through it as my whitetail deer rifle.