Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Opinions Wanted

Old 09-06-2008, 03:33 PM

Default Opinions Wanted

My friends and I are attempting a "Do It Ourselves" hunt in New Mexico next year and I have a couple questions. I have never been elk hunting before and watching the videos leaves much for the imagination.
1st The farm we are hunting on is a private 300 acre farm. Is that too small for elk?
2nd I am looking at knew rifles. Tikka T3 300 win mag is what I am leaning towards, but some say that the light rifle is gonna give one heck of a kick. I'm a big boy, but why kill myself. Thats why I am wondering if a WSM isn't better. I don't know much about rifles so if anyone can chime in..Please do.
3rd If anyone can tell me what training vids to get or calls they prefer I would greatly appriceate it.

If anyone is wondering why in the hell I don't just go to an outfitter My brother and I have a FREE place to hunt and stay. We are also going out there for the adventure. I am debating if hiring a guide to go on public land( if 300 acres is to small) wouldn't be a way to go also. Like I said, I am real wet behind the ears as far as hunting out west is concerned. Look forward to reading any help you folks can give. Be safe
Old 09-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Spike

Default RE: Opinions Wanted

Chances are that 300 acres is way too small to hunt elk on. If you have some good country around you and something to draw/keep them onto this acerage (alfalfa fields?), you might get lucky, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Elk are not like whitetail that run a short distance and then circle around a come back to the same general area. If you really spook an elk, he may run for 5 miles before he stops. Bottom line is that if you walked the property, you could easily scare off every elk that might be there in short order and don't expect them to come back anytime soon.

Having a place to stay free is nice, if you can hunt the surrounding public land and there are elk in the area, then you still have a good deal.

I doubt if there is much difference between the kick of a 300 win mag and a WSM. They are both going to kick. Both are great elk guns. If you get one, put a SIMS recoil pad on it and you should be fine. Anything from a 30-06 and up and you will be fine.

Here is the best source of teaching you how to use calls for elk: http://www.elknut.com/

Don't expect his videos to have any hunting scenes, he uses all his time to teach you what elk are saying and what to say back to them. Much more bang for the buck. The ones to start with are bugling bulls and beyond, vol I and II. If you like those, Worse than Wolves is also good. I watched the videos, but I got the CDs to play in the truck on the way to hunt! Definately worth the investment.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Dominant Buck

300 acres is way too small....unless it has elk. Like was previously said they run for miles and migrate from one county to the next for almost no reason. Here today and 20 miles away tomorrow. They are where you find them so you need lots of space. I would suggest finding out if there are any large tracts of pub land within driving distance from where you will be staying. Try the 300 acres and if there isn't much sign relocate your hunting to pub lands but keep checking because they could move back to the 300. Elk are large animanls and leave lots of sign so if they are there you should know pretty quickly.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

either rifle is a great choice. Personally I would go with the tikka t3. You can handle the recoil. Put a good recoil pad on it and shoot away. Be sure you know your rifle and are comfortable from all kinds of shooting positions. Don't screw up a good opportunity just because you were not prepared to take a certain shot.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with the above. 300 acres is very small for an elk herd.

Kick of a 300, you only know it kicks when you are sighting it in. Adrenaline and elk in front of you and you won't even know you pulled the trigger.

Bugling, I am an amateur still but found the primos instructional video helpful. I have a cow call, bugle, and diaphram calls.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:44 AM

Thanks for the input. I didn't want to drop 500-600 dollars on an elk tag and not get one due to hunting accomidations. I totaly understand that getting skunked is probable but getting skunked due to ignorance and being uneducated isn't the way I like to roll.

An other question I have is , what is the terrain like in New Mexico? I am what most people would say is "husky". I hunt in western maryland at elevations around 2500 ft and dont get to winded but I know New Mexico is probably alot higher up. I got a year to prep and I am doing the treadmill with a 30 lbs pack on my back. how many miles should I be doing?
Old 09-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

It's high alpine desert. Elk like steep, rough country. Start getting in the best shape you can NOW!Every little bit helps. Expect to drink tons of water. Have boots you can be in all day with no worries. Diluted Gatorade will help you stay hydrated better as it empties the gut faster. Don't wear cotton anything while hunting. Silk and wool is best. Good rain gear! Breathable and light. I would avoid diuretics-coffee, pop, beer, alchohol, tea, etc.. Staying hydrated will be tough enough. Good luck, have fun!
Old 09-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

too many variables, where in New Mexico are you hunting? North? south? East West? what is nearest town, and we can help more...

as to 300 acres issue, and the $500 for a tag...the tag is the smallest cost...you will spend more on travel to and from...

is your tag landowner and can only hunt the 300 acre ranch? are ayou near state or federal lands? However, if your 300 acres is the only source of water for 15 miles around (stock tank, or pond) then it might be an ideal location...again, not enough shared for us to really help out much...

either give us more detail, or have fun and dont fret at all about the tag cost, it is always the least thing to worry about...to put it in perspective, in MT the tag is substantially more than that, and your odds of getting an elk is 7% (statewide average)

Old 09-08-2008, 04:46 PM

Yeah MT I apologize for the vague info. My brother is gonna ask his co-worker. My brother and I are firemen in diff counties. His co-workers dad owns the land in NM and his uncles owns some land in similar size nearby. I told him to ask his co worker the questions you had asked me.. So when I get more info I'll let ya know. I also told him if the odds weren't adding up maybe we would go out there for mulies if those are in the area. I do know that the landowner has tags for elk so I don't know if that means they are there.. Either way I'll let you guys know. Thanks again and be safe
Old 09-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Dominant Buck

On the other hand 300 acres in prime elk habitat where there isn't any pressure could be a hunt of a lifetime.

Quick Reply: Opinions Wanted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.