Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Opinions Wanted

Old 11-16-2003, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Opinions Wanted

When do you retire an arrow I have one in the quiver that is always loaded first I have taken 10 deer with it and 7 with the same broadhead the arrow is an ACC the broadhead is a 100gr Shockwave I havent changed the blades in awhile I have only sharpened them all deer have bee passthrough except one and it was a quartering away that went through and hit the rear leg bone dead center and stopped there.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:03 AM

Default RE: Opinions Wanted

That seems like one lucky arrow. I also shoot a/c/c' s and they are the toughest arrow I' ve ever shot. Unfortunately, I' ve never had one last through that many deer. They seem to get broken, like this year, I had a half pass through, the deer fell on the protruding arrow and snapped in in half. As long as it' s still straight, and flying true, I' d shoot it till it' s broken. And as long as the broadhead is sharpened after each kill, I' d shoot that, too!
Old 11-16-2003, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

Roy, like you, I reuse my arrows and broadheads to. I always shoot the arrow and broadhead at my target to make sure their both still flying true.
I ain' t rich like a lot of these guys, can' t afford to retire an arrow or b/h after one shot through an animal. as far as retiring that particular arrow, I would wait till I killed a buck big enough (unless you already have) to have a shoulder mount, then I' d lay the arrow accross the horns and glue it on. just my opinion though, that decesion is up to you.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

When I break it bend it or lose it. Nice work on the deer.
elknut1
Old 11-16-2003, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

it was a quartering away that went through and hit the rear leg bone dead center and stopped there.
I' m just curious how you can hit the rear leg bone on a quartering away shot??? Were you aiming for his tail?
Old 11-16-2003, 10:15 AM

I have shot one deer with the bow and I retired that arrow.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I stated that wrong the deer was quartering toward me and a lot more than I thought I also think it jumped a little to turn away and that caused the arrow to strike the rear leg.

Terry I also dont have all that money to waste I have plenty of arrows and also broadheads but why change when that one is still doing the job.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like the others, keep shooting it if it' s still good. That arrow has go to be your best friend by now.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dream of displaying my arrow with a trophy mount.

I rotate 3 good arrows for deer. Only need 1 right?
I use 3 other good arrows for target practice.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:56 PM

amen! keep on using it.

Quick Reply: Opinions Wanted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.