Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Grunting?????

Old 07-14-2006, 03:06 PM

Default Grunting?????

What exactly am I supposed to do with it when i want to call. I know to blow in it to make the sound but what are the different grunts, how do you imitate them, and when do you use them.
BTW im from Texas so the Rut is a little later than most states
Old 07-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Grunting?????

Hey Ite 622
Hi ya doing?
Most grunt calls have an adjustable reeds to minnick the diffrent sounds of bucks and does.
The True Talker is one that I use most offten and there areway too many to mention.
Anyway to get to your question # 1 to make a buck grunt blow in your grunt call three short times.
You wanna try to make a burping sound like urrp urrp urrp .
If yo wanna sound like a doe, simply adjust your reed and blow in to it soft and slow.
The sound that comes out should sound like blaat or a bleat kinda like a sheep.
I know this is alot to take in at once but youasked for it.
If I was you I would get a couple of diffrent calls and practice with them most calls will haveinstuctions on how to use them.
I hope my advice has help in some way and if there anything else that I can do for ya , well just me know ok.
Good Luck
Old 07-14-2006, 05:55 PM

I recently purchased a Primos grunt and a bleat can which came with a DVD that showed the products in use. It's a little hard to just read the instructions and know what it should sound like. The DVD helped me!
Old 07-17-2006, 07:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Best advice I can give you is........

LISTEN to the sounds the deer make.....and imitate them. I watched a hundred guys on TV blow into grunt calls before I heard my first buck grunting at a doe. I found that a LOT of people do what a LOT of people did when I was duck hunting a lot. They try to make the sounds that sound good to THEM.....and what the animal actually sounds like - be damned. Just make it "beleivable".

After th rut, last year......I carried on a 15 minute "conversation" (lol) with a buck not more than 50 yds away (and in a thicket). I never said the right things, I guess.

jeff
Old 07-17-2006, 08:29 AM

I've only used a grunt call one time (an adjustable) so I really can't recommend their usefulness other than I did shoot a 5 pointer that day.... so maybe it works, maybe not. This is a bit embarrassing but I pretty much mimicked what I heard when playing games like Hunting Unlimited 2-3 and some of the other hunting games..... (but of course I didn't just sit there and honk away.... I made a 2 or 3 grunts or bleats about once every 5 to 10 minutes)

Old 07-17-2006, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

combo of a grunt and Primos can call works well. I have had many more deer come to my Can than the grunt though.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:34 AM

I never go into the woods without my calls. I could be 1/2 way to my stand and will turn around, and get my calls. For me, they are that important!!
Deer are very vocal animals and communicate all the dang time, so your calls can come in handy at the right time of the year.
Early season, I will bleat, and use my grunt call in a very unaggressive way. As we get closer to the pre-rut, Call like crazy!!
I can't imagine hunting without my calls....

Old 07-17-2006, 09:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like using the Night and Hale grunt tube the one you can exhale
and inhale if wanted. I will also use a lost deer call sometimes or
a doe bleat. I have had good luck using the different calls at times.
The best way I had learned was with a DVD on calling and a casette
tape.