Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

feathers...

Old 07-08-2006, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default feathers...

im getting ready here real soon to order my first bow. im stuck on feathers on my arrows. i think crested arrows with feathers look awesome. my first set will be pretty plain, but i plain to make or buy a cresting machine and fletch my own arrows with some nice feathers. when i order my bow and arrows and all though, they give me a choice of 3 or 4 inch feathers. what would be best? im new to the archery game. im looking for accuracy and something thatll shoot good, speed is a bonus. i should be shooting fast enough with either lenght. frim my readings i THINK the longer 4 inch feather would be the better choice to stabilize the arrow faster but could be wrong. the bow will be a reflex highlander with a 28inch draw and 65lb pull for now. shooting Gold Tip arrows and a 100gr head if any of that will make a diffrence. just want to make the right choice on them. i know i should be going to a pro shop but im ordering from hunters friend.

PS..i DID get to draw a Highlander today at Dick's Sporting goods. i drew ALL their bows and they have a half decint variety now that its that time of year. the Highlander felt absolutely sweet. it was by far my favorite. All the reflexes felt good. granted i didnt get to draw a mathews. i drew a victory and a real hoyt. the store gets ALOT of repaired bows. i was going to buy a 2005 reflex grizzly from them. marked down to like 230-250 set up, but i dont want to buy a repaired bow. i looked over all of them and found the flaws. the guy said most were dry fires and the warrenty is gone. i said thanks thats all i needed to know. but some i seen flaws in the cams, some in the limb pockets etc. that stuff is too important to a bow to chance money on. granted they may shoot fine forever, i am just not willing to drop my money on them to find out im stuck with a bow that is worthless.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: feathers...

Go with the 4" to be on the safe side. Welcome to the world of archery.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

yeah go 4 inch

Old 07-09-2006, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow! Sweet set up and those feathered shafts will really be look nice.

Always liked feathers although theydo get goofy when there wet, they lay down flat almost giving you a bare shaft look. I've shot them wet and they still worked, but the warnings of others have stuck with me and I was expecting some problems at the wrong time[X(]. Duravanes now, don't do near as much for me as a pretty feather. The feather is also noiser, like abaseball screaming through the air at 90 miles an hour, makes me cringe to have one coming at me, I'm sure the deer feel the same. Out of a slower bow it 's not so bad. Cool, but it I don't like noise.

The feathers are also very light. Either, all together, don't add up to one 4" duravane. I think the fours total six grns. The wraps will add some needed weight to the rear end giving a better balance to the shaft. 15 grns. is good (as far as I can tell from your info) for a fletch combo with a 100 head.

Another guy a while ago recommended some goose feathers, would like to try those.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:27 AM
Banned

I too use feathers on some of my arrows. RecentlyI have started using 2'' blasers also.Use 4'' feathers, get a bitzenburger fletcher as they will last you a lifetime. Another tip instead of spending over a $1.00 per wrap(crest) is to go to a vinyl sign shop and get their scrap pieces of 3M vinyl and cut these 1''X6'' long(I use a papercutter with a draw knife).I like white wraps as they show up good but use whatever you like. I have a buddy that owns a sign shop and I get mine for free. Most of these sign guys are going to give you what you need for free. This vinyl is the same exact thing that you are paying over a $1.00 for in the store. Here is the bitzenburger. Another tip, spray your feathers with campdry or other waterproof sprays for tents or boots and it works great at keeping your feathers safe against the elements.

Old 07-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx for all the advice guys!! im excited. i made 3 ebay sales today plus i get paid thursday. i got tally it all together and pay my phone bill and fill up the gas tank and see whats left. if all goes right im ordering the rig this week. if not 2 more weeks wont kill me till next pay day.

like i said, this year the feathers will be plain, solid color, plain black carbon arrows. next year i plan to make or buy a cresting machine so i can paint them myself. come up with a custom coloring band or something. ill play around on old shafts or buy a few cheapos and practice painting and see what colors and design i want to go with. and also next year i want to fletch my own nice barred feathers. i think feathers and hand crested(painted) arrows look sweet. i cannot waitttt to order the bow and have it here. im going to start working on the backyard range tomarrow after my 3 shipments are gone. i got a nice corner of the yard and a solid 35yds to shoot in my backyard. my buddy has a 3d and a field for long range and 3d practice. i cant wait. i really think my bowhunting dream is going to come true. lots of hours of work to save up for it, but itll all be worth it. next is a climbing stand and a pair of boots by fall. thanx for the advice guys. pics of the rig will come when it gets here!!! as long as nothing major goes wrong(like the truck dumping on me or something crazy...but happend before lol) ill have it ordered this week, or in 2 weeks from thursday. gotta see how the cash flow situation is. right now its lookin good.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you really want to go inexpensive,get yourself some Krylon or Rustoleum and dip the shaft.A quart will do a couple of dozen shafts easily.These are Krylon dipped with barred feathers.Cresting is done with Testor's model paint.