Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Straw Bail for practice target?? >

Straw Bail for practice target??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Straw Bail for practice target??

Old 06-30-2006, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Straw Bail for practice target??

I have access to many MANY 900 lbs square straw bails and I was wondering if it would make a good broadhead target to get ready for the upcoming season... I know I used to use them a lot when I was a kid but I dont know if its good on the broadheads or the arrow....thanks in advance
Old 06-30-2006, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Straw Bail for practice target??

by the way I will be shooting both aluminum and carbon arrows...65 lbs pull...29'' draw if you guys need to know
Old 06-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Banned

OK for traditional or old slower compounds but not for todays fast bows. It will either blow through it or bury in the center. Bag targets are cheap and the way to go IMO. They last and last and offer 2 finger easy arrow removal. I bought a couple of these for like $12 eacha wally world. Work awesomeHCH http://www.deltatargets.net/products/bag-70299.tpl

Old 06-30-2006, 01:37 PM

HCH is right. Growing up on a farm, I shot into hay, both big and small bales,for years. It makes a good cheap backstop. But thats it, it should be used for a backstop.Hay is very hard on arrow fletchings. Get you a cheap bag target to shoot into and use the hay for a backstop.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

Just make sure that livestock won't be using it later in case you break a broadhead off in it. Lost hunting access to a farm because someone was using their hale bales for practice and left a broadhead in one. Long story short, dead hereford and no more hunting.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are going to be using this target for broadheads...make sure the target is a broadhead target. The bag targets mentioned above are not made for broadheads. They will get stuck in there and just make a complete mess. You need a foam broadhead target...I use a Morrel Yellow Jacket...can't say enough great stuff about it.

As others have mentioned though....your bales probably will not work. Today's bows are too powerful and you will end up losing/ruining quite a few arrows this way.