Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Target Practice

Old 07-18-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Target Practice

Well I finally made it out to the in-laws for some practice off of a rest and out to fifty yards. They wereshotwith my new vortex with a Danny Miller FFF string and his GT Laser II bolts, AKA the AWSHUCKS special pack! LOL!! I had a good breeze coming right at my 12 O-Clock consistently so that is the only reason I figured I was shooting a little high at forty and fifty. Thirty was OK and when I backed up to forty and fifty it was high, figured it had to be the straight on breeze. This was done off of a Caldwell Rifle bench.

This was my 20 yard. The circles are about 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter with the little triangles at about 3/4 inch across.

This is forty...

This is fifty...

And this was me.....

Old 07-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Target Practice

And your point being???????????...nice shooting jason..the farthest ive shot is only 35yrds...makes the AW package even more tempting......
Old 07-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

Awesome! Just plain awesome!
The going high on the 40 and 50 looks like it may be the scope to me though, not the wind,those shots are very consistent, even in the amount they ran high.. I would bet that on a calm day a little twist on that scope and you will be right in there!
I fletch all my arrows in 2X yellow 1X orange, it not only show you have a great shot, but outstanding taste in color choice too!
Old 07-18-2007, 05:50 PM

Thanks guys! I figured it had to be the wind. If I adjusted my forty and fifty right then my thirty was a little low. But my 20 was always right on. I thought that maybe it was the wind giving the arrows a little lift or something. Will have to try again on a better day. None the less I was happy!
Old 07-18-2007, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jason, good shooting!like Pyp said, a tweak on the ring should put 30, 40, and 50 right on. I'd bet you are a skosh high at 30 even though I know you think it's dead on. The twenty won't move unless you take the caps off and tweak the dials. You need to change the name on those arrows to "Millers Killers" lol. How's the trigger breakin in??
Old 07-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

The 20 wont change no matter what you do with that dial, the 30 would be out slighlt, the 40 a bit more and the 50 a bit more yet. If you use the 50 or even the forty to adjust that dial your 30 will get a bit tighter too. To knock the 50 out an inch or two will have minimal effects on the 30 and no affect what-so-ever on the 20.
Keep up the great shooting Jason! A nice calm day will let you know whats happening.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:15 PM

You guys may be right. If you look close at the twenty, two of the three are on the higher side of the triangle. I can understand how it would start to magnify as you move back. It is something that I have heard Dan talk of in the past with the Excal scopes and that is the 1/2" only adjustments! If I am only say maybe 3/8 of a inch high on my twenty, my thirty would still look OK and then the forty would start to increase that 3/8 by alot. I have tried to turn the twenty down so I hit the center better, but then I end up being on the low side. I am also puzzled by the speed ring. When shooting today with the above pics I have it set on the edge of the 3 on the 350 mark? Are these scopes off by that much or is it set that way as a confidence booster from Excal? LOL!! I have been running with it high ever since day one and today I had to turn it up some more shooting at fifty. But regardless here we sit discussing being off by 1/2" to 3/4" high at fifty yards, that alone should be a testimony to this lovely new toy!!
Old 07-18-2007, 08:25 PM

Also forgot to say the trigger seems to be getting better. The Tri Flo helped alot. I hope it keeps getting better. It is light pull, but sometimes I feel it is still on the long side IMO. Hopefully with time it will get even better. Also should say that I am impressed with how long the Danny FFF string serving is lasting. It only has flat spots on it and would say it has close to a couple hundred shots on it, maybe more. The Excal stock string which seems to be a lighter color of gray was wearing faster? But I thought Danny made most of the strings for Excal? Maybe this one was made by a back up supplier? Seems like Danny's string was loaded with wax, just shooting it exactly like Awshucks said to.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

With the string there are other things that could cause that serving to wear faster, no biggie.

Your scope, I made a post a while back about settingoneup, it was a compilation of info awshucks shared with me over the months, many times more than once. I just have no idea what site I put it on or when I did it.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

Here it is.. No wonder I couldn't find it..

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17037&highlight=black+line

Quick Reply: Target Practice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.