Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 what do you use as a target for practice? >

what do you use as a target for practice?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

what do you use as a target for practice?

Old 04-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default what do you use as a target for practice?

Since I have about 2-4 week down time while my bow is in the shop I'd like to know what all of you shoot at target wise? I'm not asking about material but what you actually shoot at.

I shoot at 1.5" target circles and find this a great way to concetrate on 1 point while practicing. When I was young I used to play a game with a deck of cards. Start off with a whole card(3 or 4 tacked up) then start tearing the card apart and see how small of a piece I could hit.

Obviously, as the season gets closer I will shoot at a McKenzie. Since a big problem with most hunters is concetrating on a spot and shooting at the animal instead.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what do you use as a target for practice?

Our club has a practice range set up with Morrell outdoor range bags. And we keep 15 of our older McKenzies set up full time on the 3D course.

When I want to do something different, I install a few judo points and go to some public land. I carry a trash bag with me. Plenty of beverage cans and plastic bottles laying around for targets. I shoot 'em, put 'em in my trash bag and go looking for another target. Game warden freaked once when he checked my license and 'bag'.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:29 PM

When I shoot outside it is usually Morrell bags and a make shift target wall my semi-local shop set up.

When I am inside, I try to shoot paper targets of animals unless I am tuning my bow. Then it is 2" orange circles.

I get bored shooting indoors too quickly. It might be A.D.D. but that is still to be....hey, a bird just flew by my window....hmm, wonder what's on tv.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Our club has a practice range set up with Morrell outdoor range bags. And we keep 15 of our older McKenzies set up full time on the 3D course.

When I want to do something different, I install a few judo points and go to some public land. I carry a trash bag with me. Plenty of beverage cans and plastic bottles laying around for targets. I shoot 'em, put 'em in my trash bag and go looking for another target. Game warden freaked once when he checked my license and 'bag'.
Arthur,

That's an excellent idea about shooting the bevarage cans and plastic bottles. I was shooting my old bow with a friend and showing about using judo points to shoot at stuff on the ground. And too funny about the Game Warden. That's classic. I have a greater appreciation for you now. I can just picture the guy's face when he looked into your bag.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER

When I shoot outside it is usually Morrell bags and a make shift target wall my semi-local shop set up.

When I am inside, I try to shoot paper targets of animals unless I am tuning my bow. Then it is 2" orange circles.

I get bored shooting indoors too quickly. It might be A.D.D. but that is still to be....hey, a bird just flew by my window....hmm, wonder what's on tv.
I think my problem is A.D.D. also. That's where the card game came from. The range now is compressed particle board with to me huge targets. It's like shooting at the broad side of a barn to me.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a Block 4X4.... Check this out... This was late this afternoon, just a little bit after dinner....

I got two Beman ICS Hunter 340's to touch each other and I accidently tore a fletching on the previous arrow...

Almost a Robin Hood.... ALMOST.....

Butch A.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

That pisses me off when that happens since arrows arnt cheap. After your firts Robin Hood you will be looking at as more of an expensive problem now i dont shoot at teh same spot twice that is why there is 5 spots on the same side.