Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Calling vs Not Calling? >

Calling vs Not Calling?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Calling vs Not Calling?

Old 06-26-2006, 09:08 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Calling vs Not Calling?

The grunt call is my favorite. It works best if you see the buck first although blind calling can work also.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:54 AM

I only read the first post, but i agree, rattling and calling can be affective, if it's the right time. I personally have only rattled in 2 deer, and they came running. But, it can be risky. Personally, i believe in staying as quiet as you can and being in the right place based on your scouting, and i've shot all my deer based on that. Bowhunting is about being un-detected, stalking your pray, ambushing, or knowing what the animal is going to do. Rattling will do you no good if you are not set up right. So don't rely on it to get you the "Big One". However, when the situation is right, it can be a blast.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have mixed feelings on this topic. I hunt several different properties and they are all very different. I have noticed that when i first started bowhunting, i would blind call hoping to pull something in and also to give me something to do to pass the time. I then started to only call after i have seen a deer, and it seems as though i see much more activity now then when blind calling. Also take into consideration what part of the season it is, rattling typically only works during the prerut- rut, and i have had success with grunts all times of the season, but during the same pre-rut to rut the grunting works the best, for me atleast. I used the can to bring in a dandy 7 point this year along with grunting to bring in a 5 and a 6 point which i passed on, so it does work.

In regards to rattling, most of the properties that I hunt on here in NJ, i do not get any reactions at all, but there is one property that the Deer come running too, so i think that its all dependant on your area. One thing to think about is this property, its fairly open with a bunch of different fields adjacent to each other where two fence rows intersect near a bedding area. Its a Prime time funnel, so the deer come through there without calling or rattling at all.Normally is sit quietly, but if im not seeing any movement i will rattle and throw a couple of grunts in along with it.I have noticed that the deer will run in and then hold up out of range, this year im going to put a decoy out to see if they will close the distance since they dont see anything else.

While on the topic of rattling, i have noticed that here in NJ, on the property that it works, i have to rattle different that you will see on the Hunting videos. Im not hunting monsters that weigh 200+ pounds and have 130+ inch racks. sure there are a couple of those around, but they are few and far between. Cause of this, i have noticed that by tickling the antlers instead of making as much noise as possible, it works better for me atleast.

Final point about calling, which in my opinion is the most important is to realize that the majority of the time you see an animal and call to it, you are going to get one of 2 responses. The first is the deer will simply ignore you, there is nothing you can do about that. The second is the deer is interested and he is going to come and check it out. Once you see this, get ready, cause if its going to happen, it will normally happen quickly. One of the most important things to remember is an older deer is going to circle down wind 9.9 times out of 10 from the location he thought he heard your calls. Keep that in the back of your mind and make sure to take it into consideration when you call to a deer.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

Ive tried all three the rattling when it works it works last year I hit the horns and a buck blazing in but it was just a six point but like others said it only works at a certain time. I would say bleating and grunting would be your best bet