Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

buck growl

Old 06-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default buck growl

Got my new North American Whitetail mag. this week and was reading about the buck growl. If you don't get the mag., the buck growl is a sound that a highly aroused,agitated buck makes that is seldom herd by hunters or recognized as a deer vocalization. I heard one do it a couple of years ago. I had my wife with me and we were having a lot of mature buck activity when we heard what sound like a dirt bike in the woods behind us. It was avery loud, long and drawn out growl sound. I told my wife that the big boy must be tending a doe in there, we never did get to see him though. Another sound that I've heard came from a doe while being harassed by a buck, I heard this twice in one week by different does. It sounded almost like a bark, almost exactly like what the veloco-raptors on Jurrasic Park sounded like. It was pretty neat seeing the does do that.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:51 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: buck growl

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1562424
Old 06-12-2006, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

I think of it this way. Suppose you are running a company that makes a deer grunt call. Your market research shows that most deer hunters already own a grunt call or two, and that maybe 5% of the hunters they contact are in the market for another grunt call. What do you do? Do you just hunker down, fire half your employees, and scrape along hoping you can sell enough calls toget by? Or, do you go out there and invent some new deer vocalization that none of the existing calls can duplicate?

Think of any other business in the world, what do they do? Well, I'll tell you what they do, they invent some new product to revive their sales.

In my opinion this process has been going on for a while in the hunting industry in general, and in call manufacturing in particular.

I'm not saying there is no such thing as a "buck growl". I am saying I've never heard it. I won't be buying one. I still don't own a grunt tube, either, because any moron can make a buck grunt with his throat if he works at it for about five minutes. (I've grunted in a number of bucks this way.) I did buy the deer bleat can and got another family member to do the same. After two years of use, we have stopped taking our bleat cans into the woods, since the practical result is that two out of three times we've used it, the deer ran away like a pterydactyl was after them.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

My first year bowhunting, I spined a yearling buck, and he crawled down into a creek, where I missed him with my last two arrows. So, I had to climb down there and cut his throat with my knife. Let me tell you, an angry buck can make quite an array of interesting and aggressive noises, none of which sounded muchlike a bleat or a grunt call.

That's not to say that bucks run around "growling" in the woods. I'm just saying that they DO possess the ability to make several types of vocalizations. Even with that said, I won't be buying a buck growling call anytime soon. If my daypack gets any bigger, I'm gonna need a wheel barrow just to haul it to the stand.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I get NAW as well and read about the growl like others here have. I guess I don't know if that is the one call that I need to shoot mr. big. I've never heard the growl, but I haven't been around very many mature bucks either so I'm not the foremost authority on deer noises. Definitely have to consider the marketing side of this new call I think, just like Dirt2 said.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:29 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Dirt2

After two years of use, we have stopped taking our bleat cans into the woods, since the practical result is that two out of three times we've used it, the deer ran away like a pterydactyl was after them.
[/quote] If my daypack gets any bigger, I'm gonna need a wheel barrow just to haul it to the stand.

I hear you guys, I don't use my bleat call anymore either and if I add one more thing to my pack I might as well start carrying a duffel bag. However, I've had super luck with my grunt call and good experiences with the Grunt, Snort & Wheeze call.The biggest thing I have going for me is an abuntant supply of mature bucks in this one area I hunt. With a herd like that there is more competition for the does and a call like this may work. For ten bucks or so, I'm willing to experiment and give it a try. If it fails, oh well, if it works just once on a mature buck, I've got my monies worth for life out of it.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know a 10pt buck I shot in Ill is not to happy I had a Grunt call Oct,2000. GRUNT TUBE!!DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!!!!
Old 06-12-2006, 05:38 PM

I've read the article, and may be enticed to try it. I like more suttle and less aggresive calls. I've had great luck with bleat cans and grunt tubes. In fact once the rut starts to heat up I don't go anywhere with out them. Mind you I have tried rattling antlers and have spooked all of the deer I've seen let alone not seen in the bush.