Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 grunt call vs. doe bleat >

grunt call vs. doe bleat

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

grunt call vs. doe bleat

Old 05-30-2006, 03:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: grunt call vs. doe bleat

After reading a lot of positive posts about "the can," I picked one up. Never had a single response in over two years of using it. I HAVE had many positive responses using normal grunt and bleat calls.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't rule out the Deer Flute from River Valley Game Calls. It features a brass slide which is quickly adjustable from dominant grunt to doe bleat for the "contact" call of the can. I mimic the "can" with the Deer Flute all the time, less movement and just as good of sound with more reflection in the tone.
Rob was gracious enough to send me one of these to try. Right now, I'm walking back and forth between my new archery shop I'm building in the lower level of the house and outside to make some cuts on my mitre saw. Just inside the woods, I can hear a doe bleating continuously. I guess she's calling to one of her fawns. Anyway, I stepped back inside and grabbed the Flute Rob had sent me, and slid the brass slide down and perfectly mimicked her calls.

Yep, Rob, I'll be taking this one to the woods with me this year!

Thanks again buddy!
Old 05-30-2006, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunter's Specialty makes the true talker and this is what I use. It works great. I have had a deer stare right at me and take off running. I use this call and stop him dead in his tracks. Wait a few seconds and call again and he comes running back to me! This has happened with mulitple deer with this call! No adjusting a tube...just push down on different spots to create a big buck, small buck, doe, fawn, or yearling sounds. Great call!
Old 05-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Either kind of call can and does work in the right situations. It has been my experience that calling is best done when they are a good distance off or they cannot see where the call "should" be coming from. What I mean is they should be far enough off to not be able to notice that the call is coming from above (if you are treestand hunting), and there should be enough cover so they can't just look over and see that there is no grunting buck or bleating doe. That way they are more inclined to come check it out. I only use calls as a last option though.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:31 PM

The "can" along with rattlin horns is a deadly combo during the rut. I have pulled bucks away from does during the rut(try it with a decoy and watch'm come running!!)