Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 grunt call vs. doe bleat >

grunt call vs. doe bleat

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

grunt call vs. doe bleat

Old 05-27-2006, 10:13 PM

Default RE: grunt call vs. doe bleat

If you are hunting the dominate buck in your area and see him I would use the grunt. It makes the impression that there is a deer in his area chasing his does. CAUTION: If you use it on a smaller buck you can scare the heck out of them, they think a big boy is comming to run them off.

The Doe-In Estrus Bleat, is to sound as a does realy close to being ready. You can call in different age group of bucks using it. Good Luck
Old 05-28-2006, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had luck using the can .mostly does
Old 05-28-2006, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use the True Talker (I think Primro'smake's it) any way that grunt tube really works for me.
Theres no adjusting to be made and the tough flexible rubber is made to last a long time.
I can make any call I want just by putting my finger on diffrent spot and pressing down.
I have had Bucks & Does come in to my calling.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hunter's Specialties makes the True Talker, just in case anyone is trying to find them.

And you're right, RDHunter; they're great calls.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

it really just depends on the area, i know that sounds crazy but not all bucks will respond.I have an area they will respond and an area they wont
Old 05-28-2006, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't rule out the Deer Flute from River Valley Game Calls. It features a brass slide which is quickly adjustable from dominant grunt to doe bleat for the "contact" call of the can. I mimic the "can" with the Deer Flute all the time, less movement and just as good of sound with more reflection in the tone.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

The majority of bucks that I have had come in on either of the two have been small............havent had "The Monster" come in on either! I will say it does get the interest level up so any help you can get the better off you will be! I would rather use those types of tools than baiting..........JIMMY!
Old 05-29-2006, 11:53 AM
Spike

i use the can all the time pre rut, rut , post rut. The past three years I have called in a nice buck from 300yds. across a huge bottom, they ran straight towards me. I have also called one off from a doe he was chasing. But I would never go to the woods without either call. All deer have different personalities.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got a small 8 point this year because of the can. He had wandered off after leaving a rub on a tree. He was gone for about 5 minutes and I hit the bleat can. He came back on a trot with his nose on the ground. 15 yards from my stand broadside when I shot. That was on November 12, peak of the rut around hear in MI.

In mid October I called two does back after they ran off by using the small can. It was interesting to see that work.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

Great question chaselton. First, it depends on what time during bow season that you are using these calls. Don't be too eager to jump the gun right off the bat in early October as they are not yetresponding to the "sounds of the rut" during this time. Late October through the first two weeks of November is when you'll find yourself having great success with both calls separately or in combination with each other. Having said that, also consider adding some rattling and asnort wheeze to your callingsequence. Also check out the "growl" byM.A.D. calls. Geographic location and weather patterns play a major role in when the "rut" kicks in. There is also time in December that the "2nd rut" kicks in, in which some of the younger does and fawns come into estrus. Check with your state DNR on when they feel that time is, as this is another good oportunity to let loose a grunt or two. As far as January goes, it takes next to nothing to spook a deer off of a food source or anywhere for that matter. I would not recommend using calls at that time. However, if legal in your state, you may find some late season success hunting over bait. i.e. corn, protien pellets, mineral/salt licksand especially biologic food plots. Hope this helps! Good luck and happy hunting!

Quick Reply: grunt call vs. doe bleat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.