Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tree Stand Hunting >

Tree Stand Hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree Stand Hunting

Old 05-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tree Stand Hunting

I practice shooting sitting, kneeling, and standing, so it makes no difference to me. If I'm already sitting and a deer comes in from my left (I'm right handed), I will shoot sitting to avoid unnecessary movement.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

I personally dont think Ive ever shot a deer sitting. I usually stand most of the time while on stand unless Im using my climber. I try to situate myself in a tree that will allow me to stand up if a deer is approaching without being detected, sometimethat is hard to do. If I dont want to shoot a particular deer then there is no reason to stand if I happen to be sitting.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im with the majority of people. I will shoot from either position but I always stand when I can, when I see a shooter approaching. If I get caught by suprise by a vistor from a direction I didnt see them approaching,which is rare, I will try for a shot sitting.

I practice from a tree stand in my yard but I ususally only set up about 2' or 4' high when Im slinging lots of arrows where I have a handy ladder set up for easy access down and up for arrow retreival. When it gets closer to the season I'll set up a stand in my yard at 20' to 25' for real hunting heights, but I only bring 12 to 24 arrows up each time. For tree stand hunting - Pendulum sight for the win!! You can shoot from ground level on up to 20' or 30' without adjusting anything.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the info. so far.

Now to your second question. If youplan to hunt from a stand, you need to practice shooting from an elevated position regardless of whether you choose to sit or stand. My bowseason begins about the second week of September. I start the first week of July shooting several arrowsa weekfrom a tree stand at 3d targets. There are 3 of usand eachhas our own 3dtargets. One gets in the permamnent built stand(made specially for practice), while the other twoset the targets at different angles and distances for each shot. It's themost realistic and beneficial practice that I have used for bowhunting. This sounds like a great way to practice.

Someone "nailed" my biggest concern when they said if the deer comes up on my left (right handed Shooter). From the sitting position there is no way I could shoot to the right of my body. I am planning on doing moreelevated shooting this summer.

What are the things to keep in mind when shooting from 20'-25'? I have heard that the norm is that POI will be a little higher? Fixed Sights. The pendulum site looks interesting but is not in my future...for now, Like the guy says " I think I am one gadget away from Victory!"
Old 05-08-2006, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do not practice from an elevated position, but that may be just because I am lazy and don't want to climb up and down to retrieve every group of arrows. No problems so far though. All of my misses were misses no matter where I was shooting from As far as fixed sights versus a pendulum, I am a fixed sight guy. I am an engineer by trade and just think that if it moves it can fail to move and then you are up a creek. I also use fixed sights because I hunt both spot and stalk and treestand. I have had too many times when I would have missed an opportunity stalkingif I had to reach down and adjust my sight to the right distance instead of just using my second or third pin. Just my opinion and experiencethough.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I'm up in my treestand, I'll take any shot that's presents itself if I happen to be sitting down & in my shooting range.
I do try to do as much standing in case I have to move to my right & I practice every possible shot you can think of just to build my confidence up.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Site Buck Guru

I prefer to stand.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

I have killed them both ways. I hunt tripods alot myself so I do practice shooting
sitting down. When I am in a ladder or climber I prefer to stand for the shot. Of course
that is difficult when they suddenly appear without warning.