Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Going to have a duel with bows/arrows. >

Going to have a duel with bows/arrows.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Going to have a duel with bows/arrows.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Default Going to have a duel with bows/arrows.

Maybe within two-three weeks a guy at work and me are going to duel it out with bow and arrows. Actually we hunted together in Colorado last year, so the big talk had 10 days to gather momentum and it hasn't slowed down. Its been a year long feud and he fueled the fire with more big talk last night, and best I could kept my mouth shut. But I can only take so much! I am as stubborn as he is, maybe more. Its a speed vs penetration thing. He has his ideas and I have mine. I have to walk the dog right now and then get ready for work. More info to come in the morning............I'll keep you all posted.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Going to have a duel with bows/arrows.

I can't wait, Coug...
Old 05-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes sir, I want to hear more about this one too! [8D]
Old 05-10-2006, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

This could be interesting...
Old 05-10-2006, 05:00 AM
Dominant Buck

If you took the penetration side use a cut on contact broadhead , that'll shut him up unless he uses one too .
Old 05-10-2006, 05:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

So you guys aren't shooting at each other right? That is typically what I think of when someone mentions a "duel". I would hate to see speed and penetration measured in such a manner.

Seriously though, good luck Coug. I am sure you will come out vindicated.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

I guess its going to be awhile. He was/is talking about buying a Bowtech Equalizer, 50-60 lbs. and says he is buying the Speed Pro Max shafts. Best I can tell with what information I have he will be right on the 5 grains per pound limit or thereabouts. He was bragging about how many fps he will be shooting at 60 lbs. I agreed he should be shooting a fast setup, faster than me. My current setup amounts to 6.54 grains per pound, thats shooting at 65 lbs. So I am right around 425 grains and he will be at about 300 grains. He will giving me 5 lbs. but I will be giving him 125 grains. My draw is about 2-2 1/2 inches longer, but he will have the Binary cams. Anyway....................he says absolutely without a doubt, he will have more penetration with his faster, lighter arrows. I have to prove him wrong[8D]. Won't be a very scientific test, but we agreed to use my bag target on field points and a new Morrell Yellow Jacket for broadheads and agreed to use the same broadheads. First he has to get the bow and get it tuned. I told him to take all the time he needs and lets do it right. Gonna be awhile, but I am licking my chops. Just hope I don't lick my wounds. To be continued later on.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Too bad you can't get ballistics gelatin for your duel.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Highly unscientific. Different draw weights and all that. BUT, let the games begin.[8D][8D][8D] I think I would get a couple different materials and shoot each several times coming up with some sort of average. Like Arthur says, ballistic gel would be the ticket. No need for a whole bunch of shots and determining if it was equal, it would be.There are recipes for making it, but it's just too involved and you'd need large refrigerator space.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, highly unscientific but hopefully it will shut him up after we do some measuring and averaging. I think the fact that my arrows penetrate farther and are harder to pull out of the Reinhart targets at our club's 3D shoots than with his current bow setup is making him ill.[8D] Honestly I've never said a word, not until he keeps agitating.

Quick Reply: Going to have a duel with bows/arrows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.