Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What are your groups like at 30 yards?  Be Honest! >

What are your groups like at 30 yards? Be Honest!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
5/5 arrows in a 2 inch circle
17.74%
5/5 arrows in a 4 inch circle
45.97%
5/5 arrows in a 6 inch circle
29.03%
5/5 arrows in a 8 inch circle
3.23%
Something worse than that!
4.03%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

What are your groups like at 30 yards? Be Honest!

Old 05-04-2006, 02:23 PM

Default RE: What are your groups like at 30 yards? Be Honest!

I will second what Len and David have said about practicing at varying angles and stances.I have personally not ever shot a deer standing on level ground at a perfect angle with minutes to get the shot off.How can you expect to make a "GOOD" shot on a deer that has come in from an unexpected direction and give you a less than ideal shot angle without practicing at different angles and shooting with awkward foot placements?I for one have not been that lucky.I too have watched Len shoot the popcorn on a string and can attest to the fact that he can hit it right or left handed.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Dominant Buck

It's not possible for ME.... but Len does it all the time. A result of experimenting, tinkering, necessity and dedicated practice. You have to realize, when Len's shop is in the height of their season they do a LOT, I mean a LOT of bows. You got to be good. They do it right the first time and can't wait around for the owner to come in to start setting it up and tuning if the owner wants him to tune.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:25 PM

I find some of the boosts of accuracy here pretty huge! After many years of shooting competitive archery, I've never seen accuracy at the supposed level claimed by some here. The fact is there are very few 300's shot in indoor competition with pin sights. I would venture to say that most here have never shot a 300, especially under the tournament stress.

In field archery the 30yd target with a 35cm bullseye is one of the most difficult targets to score a 20 (4 arrows per target 5 possible points per arrow) which is a smaller bullseye than the indoor target.

No doubt there is a big difference between shooting target archery and hunting. But the fact remains that if you can't hit what your shooting at your hunting skills are wasted. I find it courious when I hear some hunter saying "I don't shoot dots I'm not good at it" and in the same breath say "Put hair on it and I never miss". How is this metamorphosis going to all of a sudden take place if you can't shoot a stationary target in the first place. News flash a target is a target be it foam, paper or hair.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

After many years of shooting competitive archery, I've never seen accuracy at the supposed level claimed by some here.
That brought a smile!!!
Old 05-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Dominant Buck

How is this metamorphis going to all of a sudden to take place if you can't shoot a stationary target in the first place.
Flhunter: What???? You never heard of miracles????[8D][8D][8D]
Old 05-04-2006, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

OK, so I read a lot of peoplewrote you should get your average group by shooting multiple 5 shot groups, this made sense to me so I went out and did it. I chose to shoot 10 groups of 5 arrows each and the results are as follows-

30 yard Groups(rounded to the 1/8")

1. 4 7/8"

2. 10 5/8" oops, flyer, still counts!

3. 3 1/8"

4. 2 7/8"

5. 4 3/8"

6. 4"

7. 6 7/8"

8. 5"

9.7 7/8"

10. 4 1/2"

Total average= 5 7/16"

I picked 6" on the poll before I did this test.

I am also very pleased with this as I had never shot a bow (other than kid stuff) until I bought mine on March 15, 2006. I am not trying to brag, seriously. What you should know is that I started reading on THIS site about 2 months or so before I bought the bow. All of my knowledge has been stolen/aquired/learnedfrom this site.

You guys owe yourselves a pat on the back for being so willing to share your knowledge. I thank you all for for what I have gotten and will get in the future.

Jer
Old 05-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Dominant Buck

But Bitterroot... we believed you 6 inches.[8D][8D]
Old 05-05-2006, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I voted on the poll and THEN gave my opinion involving actual things that apply to me!My bad--next poll i vote on will not have any "extra" information about my personal experiences.Sorry to step on any toes with my real life accounts.Didn't realize we were under oath--SIR,"please just answer the question"[8D]
Old 05-05-2006, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

but shoots at 67 lbs., shoots a right handed bow with a left dominant eye, has to shoot with one eye closed,
See? I knew we had a lot in common...

Old 05-08-2006, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

"I find some of the boosts of accuracy here pretty huge!"

**********We interupt this program with a news flash**********

In case anyone has forgotten. This is the net.

We now resume you to our normal posting.