Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What are your groups like at 30 yards?  Be Honest! >

What are your groups like at 30 yards? Be Honest!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
5/5 arrows in a 2 inch circle
17.74%
5/5 arrows in a 4 inch circle
45.97%
5/5 arrows in a 6 inch circle
29.03%
5/5 arrows in a 8 inch circle
3.23%
Something worse than that!
4.03%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

What are your groups like at 30 yards? Be Honest!

Old 05-03-2006, 08:00 AM

Default RE: What are your groups like at 30 yards? Be Honest!

Dang you guys and gals are pretty good. I'm lucky to hit 4 0f 6 @ 30yards with my longbow. I'll hit 4 in the kill then the other 2 only GOD knows where they are going to land.I just wish that group was with my first four arrows but is is usally with my last 4 shots. So if that dumb old deer is crazy enough to stick around for a third shot I just may get him
Old 05-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I voted for the 6 inch group as a worst case scenario(i can do it on my worst day).Shooting at a target on a nice calm day with all the time in the world to hold and release is no problem but put a big buck in place of that target when he's on the move with his nose to the ground and i have to THINK i run in to a little trouble with my heart rate and adrenaline--that's what makes it the greatest way to hunt deer in my mind.Give me the same deer during rifle season and i hardly get excited about it.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm lucky to hit 4 0f 6 @ 30yards with my longbow.
I could be wrong but I don't think that anyone who answered this is using a longbow or recurve. Were cheating and all using bows with training wheels.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:36 AM

idahoelkinstructor I answered it about my long bow but i still have my bows with the training wheelsi just don use em anymore.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can agree that groups are not as good in hunting situations with adrenaline flowing and such. And as Lenny said about speed shooting things would be different. But these scenerios do not answer the original question. A lot of guys have thrown in the "what if" thing and they are really another topic.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about answering the original ? and throwing in a little extra--or is that just plain wrong?[8D]
Old 05-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

I think the only way you can get and accurate figure is to shoot like 10 five arrow groups at 30 yards. Measure all of them outside of the shafton the two outside arrows then get an average an post it! I can shoot 1/2 inch five arrow groups at 30 yards.......But not every time!!!................When I get a chance I'll do some averages
Old 05-03-2006, 04:00 PM

I thought this was a what kind of groups are you capable of sort of thing. As far as the stuff listed above, I don't hunt that way, so I really don't practice that way. I don't shoot moving deer, I don't shoot in akward positions and I pretty much shoot at known yardarges. And 30 yards would be my longest shot.

What would that be a 300 score on? Not a vegas round that is for sure.

The one thing I do that is odd when I practice is at longer distances like 50 to 70 yards I shoot 3 arrows then run to the target to pull them, then run back and shoot. And this is after working for 10 hours a day in a factory ( I only sit down about 30 minutes a day).

I don't really get buck fever either. I am pretty calm until after I shoot the deer. It all just sort of happens for me, even with a rifle. Once I draw the bow it's a all a blur really.

Paul

Old 05-03-2006, 04:11 PM

A quote from BGfisher:
A lot of guys have thrown in the "what if" thing and they are really another topic.

The question is "What are your groups like at 30 yards? Be Honest!" It didn't say under what conditions you're shooting; therefore, I'd say the 'what ifs' are very much in line with answering this thread. If we let it stand that only 'target shooting' was an acceptable platform, this would leave the majorityofhunters wondering why they couldn't shoot as well as others. On the contrary, I've seen many in a hunting situation totally outperform many that we seen on the 'target range'.

Therefore I submit to you that we let the 'what ifs' stand. This may serve to stimulate another thought process about how to practice.

If you can get Davidmil, Newman1, or several others who frequent this forum to respond, they'll tell you that I can hold my own against most shooters and most animals. I choose, however, to leave it to each individual to constantly try to outdo himself or herself with multiple/different challenges. That's what I do.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think the thread is about shooting Groups??? We all know the hunting situation is not the same! I think the what if's should be in a different thread! A challenge is good, I shoot everyday from an elevated position, because thats the way I hunt. I personally don't shoot at moving targets because I won't shoot at a moving animal while hunting. I know my limitations! But I would mind trying to shoot at a tire rolling down a hill it just for fun!JMO!

Quick Reply: What are your groups like at 30 yards? Be Honest!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.