Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What are your groups like at 30 yards?  Be Honest! >

What are your groups like at 30 yards? Be Honest!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
5/5 arrows in a 2 inch circle
17.74%
5/5 arrows in a 4 inch circle
45.97%
5/5 arrows in a 6 inch circle
29.03%
5/5 arrows in a 8 inch circle
3.23%
Something worse than that!
4.03%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

What are your groups like at 30 yards? Be Honest!

Old 05-04-2006, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What are your groups like at 30 yards? Be Honest!

I still think that group shooting is for targets/practice. I have never had an animal stand around after the first shot waiting to see how good of a group I could punch into him/her. That's why I'm saying group shooting does not apply to hunting situations.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

I still think that group shooting is for targets/practice. I have never had an animal stand around after the first shot waiting to see how good of a group I could punch into him/her. That's why I'm saying group shooting does not apply to hunting situations.
That's fine but the question is "What are your groups like at 30 yards?" As bowhuntingfool said, "We all know the hunting situation is not the same!" So why keep making the point?
Old 05-04-2006, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I could be wrong but I don't think that anyone who answered this is using a longbow or recurve.
Actually, I took the poll (one of the first), but didn't post. I answered with an 8 inch circle. But that would be on a good day. 30 Yards it too far for me to shoot at whitetails very comfortable, I keep my shots within 20 yards. Id' take 30 on an elk or moose though anyday.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

I still think that group shooting is for targets/practice. I have never had an animal stand around after the first shot waiting to see how good of a group I could punch into him/her.
I have. Onthree seperate occassions. Of course I missed the first shot on all three occassions (twoof those times were duringmy first year hunting). Never had one hang around that I actually hit.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everybody knows target shooting groups is not realistic for hunting situations. That's not the point. Shooting groups tells you how consistent you are in terms of form and technique. That's the starting point. If you can't shoot a decent group under perfect conditions there's no point in practicing hunting situations.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

Everybody knows target shooting groups is not realistic for hunting situations. That's not the point. Shooting groups tells you how consistent you are in terms of form and technique. That's the starting point. If you can't shoot a decent group under perfect conditions there's no point in practicing hunting situations.
I'd agree with that. Just because you shoot great groups on the target range isn't a gaurantee you will be a good shot at deer but if you don't have the basic skills to shoot a decent group on targets you're not suddenly going to develp them just because a deer is in front of you. Like you said, its a "starting point". I'd add that its an absolutely essential "starting point".
Old 05-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just read this interview with Chuck Adams on Bowsite.com and he hit on some points from a couple of threads this one included. Here's a quote on his view of target shooting.

I shoot bull’s-eye most of the time, I know a lot of bowhunters don’t. They stress the practice on animal targets as being very important. I bear down and shoot the best during off-season on bull’s-eyes and it trains me to shoot at non bull’s-eye targets. So I never had a problem with picking a spot on an animal and pretending that’s a bull’s-eye. I shoot bull’s-eye most of the time and I actually monitor my shooting. I shoot the old PAA ‘300’ round, year-round. It’s about a 3¼” bull’s-eye that’s a 5 spot and then it goes up to 4, 3, 2 and 1. And I know what I used to shoot score-wise. I could tell you what I shot on indoor tournaments - even 30 years ago. I know how well I shoot year-to-year on that round and it gives me a gauge of how well I am doing compared to how well I did last year, or ten years ago. I routinely shoot in the high 290s on the 300 rounds with my fingers. It’s a 20-yard target round so I will shoot either half round 30 arrows or full round 60 arrows at 20 yards. And that gives me a gauge for what I need to improve - or if I am doing just fine. But mixed with that I shoot at all distances out to 70 yards. I do have a 70-yard pin on my bow. I don’t apologize for that since I don’t shoot animals that far. My experience has always told me that if I practice at longer range the shorter-range shots are almost slam-dunks and I think it’s important to practice at a variety of yardages. I also shoot stumps quite a bit and accelerate that program in the late spring and early summer months. I like to go with friends and shoot long distance with no ranging aids. It’s a great exercise for estimating range by eye. And that’s basically the strategy, which works for me.
Great interview. Check it out: http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/interviews/chuckadams/
Old 05-04-2006, 12:35 PM

Let me approach this in a slightly different way. This is a "Bowhunting" forum and not a "Target" or "General Archery" forum. There are other sites that cater to "General Archery" and tell you directly to take the "Bowhunting" threads elsewhere.

It is my understanding that the majority of archers who like this "Bowhunting" forum are hunters, while I'm sure Sag, etal,have a good representation. Given this and the fact that 98%+ of my customers will be in the woods this fall, I would like to prepare them for an appropriate venue, and have felt an obligation to the general hunting community to be vocal about this issue.

While target shooting, especially for groups, is the best way to start (much like Sylvan said), extending your perspectives will prepare you for the 'unexpected'. And that is what you learn to expect from any animal in its habitat.

Therefore I'll say again, increase your skills and confidence by increasing the complexity of your shooting practice. If you think otherwise, please ignore my concerns.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:57 PM
Dominant Buck

I know to each his own and to himself must be true, BUT... I can't understand why everyone is so afraid to take a shot at a moving deer. If you practice enough and shoot your equipment enough you will "Become the Arrow". In my opinion, a shot at a walking deer is in many cases a lot better than trying to stop the animal with a whistle, grunt, bleat or whatever. A walking animal is less likely to hear my bow or less likely to react to it as quickly. Especially after I've put him on alert with a grunt...if he even stays around. I know my equipment well enough to beable to apply the needed lead on a walking animal. Of course I don't shoot at walking animals as far out as I would a stationary animal. I do know my limitations and have an idea how long that arrow takes to get there. A slam dunk shot at a walking deer to me is prefered and a piece of cake. It's all over before he knows I'm there. But that's me.

Along with perfect practice, you have to practice odd stances, twisting, kneeling, straight in front, off to your left/right and behind to know your tendancies. These odd positions or variations ofcome up all the time in hunting. You have to try them regularly to find your bad tendancies before you really have to take the shot for real. The odd positions are always a possible source of bad hand pressure and torgue, both of which can ruin your day.

As far as Len's ability. I'll just say, don't shoot against him for money.[&:] For fun he shoots at little popcorn balls from packing shipments hanging from a string. He'll do it with either hand. He's the only guy I ever saw climb into a tree stand with a release strapped on both wrist. I've personnally watched him from 50 yards away draw with one hand only to have the deer move to the other side of the tree. Like a snail, he swapped hands and drilled the sucker without standing. He can do it all day long. A result of his having to tune both left and right handed bows and also due to an eye dominance change.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:18 PM

Is it possible to shoot a right handed COMPOUND bow left handed or vice versa safely? I can see it with traditional equipment but it seems nearly impossible with a compound. For those that can my hats off to ya for sure.

Quick Reply: What are your groups like at 30 yards? Be Honest!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.