Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What are your groups like at 30 yards?  Be Honest! >

What are your groups like at 30 yards? Be Honest!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
5/5 arrows in a 2 inch circle
17.74%
5/5 arrows in a 4 inch circle
45.97%
5/5 arrows in a 6 inch circle
29.03%
5/5 arrows in a 8 inch circle
3.23%
Something worse than that!
4.03%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

What are your groups like at 30 yards? Be Honest!

Old 04-30-2006, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What are your groups like at 30 yards? Be Honest!

I don't think thats too bad.
Nope not at all.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I could not vote because there was no option for me. I do not shoot five arrow group, ever. I shoot three most of the time and often times only one at a time.

My three arrow groups at 30 yards average 1 1/2" on a good day to 3" on most other days. And since I started dropping the weight on my bows to the low to mid 50's the good days are much more the norm.

Actually, on the good days my groups are about 3" at 50 yards.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bgfisher, I hear ya on 3 arrow group. I throw a fourth in because I don't want to walk back & forth that much, but outa four 3 are usually real close with a fourth that ruined a good number by being on the 2.5" -3" marker.
Maybe I should just shoot 3 also .
Old 05-01-2006, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't shoot spots or 3d,i'm strickly a hunter who practices in the back yard and hunts. I don't use a peep sight and i use one tritium sight pin on an old cobra bracket with a 6" extention. The areas i hunt are thick and 99% of my shots are 20yds and closer so i seldom practice beyond 30yds. Once in a while i'll shoot at 40 just for fun but not very often, but i would take a 40yd shot if i had to with complete confidence because i know how my bow shoots at that distance.When i do my part and on a good dayi shoot tight groups at 20ydsbut theyusually open up at 30 and a little more so at 40. At 20yds i can usually pull all the arrrows out at one time and sometimes i can at 30.I have 7 arrows that i practice with and here's a couple pics of some 7 shot groups i shot recently. The first two are 20yds and the third is 30. I was shooting at the top dot at 30yds.In all honesty,my groups aren't always this good buti'm very confident in my shooting. >----------> Mike

20yds

Another 20yds

30yds

Old 05-01-2006, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Range practice is very important, shooting good groups, ect... First and foremost though, you need to get yourself into as much of a "hunting mode" type of practicing as possible. I don't get too hung up on accuracy in the practice range, I concentrate on concentrating, relaxing, and putting the arrow where I aim, not how many arrows I can wreck in a session. Elevated shooting at deer target's at a variety of unknown distances is the best thing I ever started doing. If you hunt from a stand, why would you practice from the ground? Well, because it's less work is probably the most common answer. I hear you, but, how bad do you want it?

I shoot with a couple of guys who are excellent archers, way better than myself. They both missed deer last year, and neither could explain why. Just excitement, and rushing the shot I guess (and these guys have been hunting longer than I have)? I on the other-hand continued my season without a miss and 3 deadly shot's, as I've done for like the last 7 or 8 seasons.

Range is for practice, hunting is the real deal! Are you ready?
Old 05-01-2006, 08:57 AM

We've got some bonafide world class archers on this forum.... Some of you guys need to go to the IBO World Championships
Old 05-01-2006, 12:15 PM

I have never actually measured, but I do know they would usually all fit inside the end of a pop can without trying too hard. Better than that on good nights or when shooting indoors.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

On a good day I am probably in the second group but fit more into the third group on an average day....hunting setup ofcourse.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:11 PM

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

This is 3 arrows at 30 yards just before opening day of last season!

OK Byron
Old 05-01-2006, 03:58 PM

I just went out and checked. I don't shoot 5 arrow groups either, 3 at a time for me. I got around 2 inches average at 30 yards in a slight cross wind. This is with no peep sight and a case of target panic. I seem to have trouble freezing below the target bad now. I know how to fix it, just haven't taken the time.[] So I would say between 2 and 3 inches at 30 yards for me. I have not been shooting very much lately either.

I normally don't shoot much at 30 yards. I shoot at 20 for a while. Then a few arrows at 30, then some at 40. After that I move back to about 70 yards.

Paul

Quick Reply: What are your groups like at 30 yards? Be Honest!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.